Disney and Lucasfilm are sweetening the pot and upping the ante for 2020 May the Fourth Be With You celebrations on Star Wars Day with the announcement that STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER will be streaming 2 months early with a debut on Disney+ on May 4, 2020. (In the Netherlands, the movie will launch on Disney+ on May 5 due to the Memorial Day holiday.)
The epic conclusion to the Skywalker saga coming to Disney+ next week jonis a roster of previously announced content also set to debut that day including DISNEY GALLERY: THE MANDALORIAN and the series finale for STAR WARS: THE CLONE WARS.
In addition to new content offerings, Disney+ will also honor the artistry of Star Wars with a week-long concept art takeover on the service.
- A commemorative gallery, each film and series’ artwork will be updated on May 4th to feature its original concept paintings. “Star Wars: A New Hope” to “The Mandalorian,” the updated art will feature work from celebrated artists such as the legendary Ralph McQuarrie and Academy Award-winning artist, author, and production designer, Doug Chiang.
- The animated “Star Wars” brand tile the Disney+ home screen will be viewable on web and connected TV devices with upgraded animation that honors the signature hyperspace jump.
- For more information and/or to sign-up for Disney+, visit:disneyplus.com/welcome/star-wars.
STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER
Lucasfilm and director J.J. Abrams joined forces once again to deliver STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER, the thrilling climactic chapter in the Skywalker saga, bringing the heroic struggle to restore peace and freedom to the galaxy to an epic, resounding conclusion. The film stars Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, Adam Driver, Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Anthony Daniels, Naomi Ackie, Domhnall Gleeson, Richard E. Grant, Lupita Nyong’o, Keri Russell, Joonas Suotamo, Kelly Marie Tran, with Ian McDiarmid and Billy Dee Williams.
STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER is directed by J.J. Abrams and produced by Kathleen Kennedy, Abrams and Michelle Rejwan. Callum Greene, Tommy Gormley and Jason McGatlin serve as executive producers. The screenplay was written by Chris Terrio & J.J. Abrams and the story is by Derek Connolly & Colin Trevorrow and J.J. Abrams & Chris Terrio, based on characters created by George Lucas.
DISNEY GALLERY: THE MANDALORIAN
Series Premiere, Monday, May 4
Executive Producer Jon Favreau invites the cast and crew from the show to share an unprecedented look at the making of the series which quickly became a pop culture phenomenon after premiering in November. The eight-episode documentary series pulls back the curtain on “The Mandalorian” with chapters that explore a different facet of the first live-action Star Wars television show with interviews, never-before-seen footage, and roundtable conversations hosted by Favreau himself.
Topics this season include
- The filmmaking process
- The legacy of George Lucas’ Star Wars
- How the cast brought the characters to life
- The series’ groundbreaking technology
- The artistry behind the show’s practical models, effects, and creatures
- The creative influences
- The iconic score
- Connections to Star Wars characters and props from across the galaxy
STAR WARS: THE CLONE WARS
Series Finale, Monday, May 4
After seven seasons, one of the most critically acclaimed chapters in the Star Wars saga, “Star Wars: The Clone Wars,” will come to a close on a special day, Monday, May 4, giving fans around the world the chance to watch the finale together for Star Wars Day.
See it for Yourself
STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER is available on Disney+ May 4, 2020.
DISNEY GALLERY: THE MANDALORIAN will stream new episodes on Disney+ every Friday starting May 4, 2020.
STAR WARS: THE CLONE WARS concludes with its final episode airing on Disney+ on a special day, May 4, 2020.
Disney+ streaming service is available now. A regular subscription is available for just $6.99 per month. Visit DisneyPlus.com to subscribe and/or learn more about the service.