Welcome foolish mortals to the 50th Anniversary of the HAUNTED MANSION! Today marks the 50th anniversary of the indelible Disney Parks classic that has spawned movies, countless merchandise lines, and even a Hollywood film. One of the most memorable elements of the Mansion are the strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls but also the unmistakable powerhouse of talent that bring to life (or in this case, death) some of the iconic characters in the attraction!
Today, we’ll explore the who’s who of the beings in their corruptible, mortal, state that lent their voices to the happy haunts within!
- Paul Frees is the voice of the Ghost Host and is known for also being the voice of Professor Ludwig Von Drake.
- Eleanor Audley is the voice of Madame Leota. She was also the voice of Lady Tremaine in Cinderella (1950) and Maleficent in Sleeping Beauty (1959).
- Leota Toombs, a former Walt Disney Imagineer and Disney Legend, is the original face of Madame Leota.
- The holiday version of Madame Leota uses the face of Kim Irvine, an Imagineer and daughter of Leota Toombs, the original Madame Leota.
- The lyrics of the Haunted Mansion theme song “Grim Grinning Ghosts (The Screaming Song)” were written by Disney Legend X Atencio.
- Disney Legend Buddy Baker created the music for the Haunted Mansion theme song.
- Thurl Ravenscroft is the voice of “Uncle Theodore” who leads the Phantom Five quintet of headstones. His voice can also be heard at Walt Disney’s Enchanted Tiki Room as the voice of Tangoroa.
- The Mellomen is the real-life singing group who voices the Phantom Five singing busts.
More to Explore
Today concludes our look into the Haunted Mansion. All we long we journeyed back to the humble abode, take a look below to see what you might have missed!
- History and legacy of Disneyland’s classic HAUNTED MANSION
- A ‘By The Numbers’ look at the humble home of Disneyland’s happy haunts
- Spotlight on the happy haunts that materialize inside Disneyland’s HAUNTED MANSION
- Behind the Scenes at Disneyland’s classic HAUNTED MANSION
Even More in Store
‘Happy Haunts Materialize’ Exhibit
The Disney Gallery on Main Street is paying tribute to the Haunted Mansion with a fantastic new exhibit: Happy Haunts Materialize: Fifty Spirited Years of the Haunted Mansion.
MORE INFO: PICTORIAL: ‘Happy Haunts Materialize: Fifty Spirited Years of the Haunted Mansion’ opens at Disneyland
See it for Yourself
Disneyland’s Haunted Mansion turns 50 on Friday, August 9, 2019. It’s open now through August 25th when it closes its annual conversion into the Haunted Mansion Holiday.