Tiana’s Palace has officially opened at Disneyland offering a robust assortment of Southern specialties. Inspired by the PRINCESS AND THE FROG film, fans can expect to get a taste of Tiana’s famous recipes including gumbo that’s the bees knees and of course… those man-catching beignets.
Here’s a first taste and look at the new restaurant and its menu items.
About the Location
The New Orleans Square eatery replaces the former French Market and has been refreshed from top to bottom, inside and out, including its menu! The exterior resembles the waterside restaurant featured at the end of THE PRINCESS IN THE FROG with warm and inviting hues evocative of the Southern hospitality that the new location aims to embody.
Of course, there’s a bunch of fun details to take in including homages not just to the 2009 animated classic but also New Orleans and also Disneyland itself. While this is not character dining location, you MIGHT get lucky and see Princess Tiana walking around the area, welcoming guests to her restaurant.
This location offers Mobile Order to help minimize your time standing in line. It’s open for lunch and dinner and typically operates from around 10am – 8pm, always check the Disneyland app for the latest timing and details.
Firefly Five Plus Lou is a fun nod to the Firehouse Five Plus Two jazz band which played at Disneyland in the early days of Disneyland on Main Street, USA. The band was comprised some of Disney’s original animators, including Ward Kimball, Frank Thomas, and Harper Goff.
There’s two souvenir items on the menu that you can add to give your meal an extra dash of Disney magic.
Ray Firefly Glow Cube ($5.69) is available on its own or with purchase of beverage (limit ten (10) per person, per transaction).
Lily Pad and Lotus Cup Ceramic Set ($34.99) is a fun keepsake and it comes a beignet that is filled lemon ice box pie filling and topped with lemon glaze.
What We Ate
The menu has been completely revamped from what was previously offered at this location. Here’s our review of everything we tried.
House Gumbo ($16.99) with braised chicken, andouille sausage, and heirloom rice gets top marks. Tiana would be happy to put her name on this, robust flavors and spice and good texture . It’s surprisingly thick, hearty, and meaty. Hit hard with a couple shots of hot sauce and it’s the bee’s knees.
7 Greens Gumbo with Chicken & Andouille Sausage ($16.99) with white beans, okra, yams, sweet potatoes, and heirloom rice. A meat-free version of this dish is available for $14.49. Another top contender on the menu. PACKED with veggies and super tasty.
Cajun Spiced Half Chicken ($19.49) is brushed with BBQ sauce served with baked macaroni and cheese & coleslaw. It’s a good option although picky eaters might not love the sauce which has a bit of a mole vibe to it. Chicken is well-cooked. The mac is great and pickles are salty-sweet.
Gulf Shrimp and Grits ($17.49) is simmered in Creole sauce with cheesy grits. It’s simple but so very satisfying. The grits were creamy and flavorful and the sauce that the shrimp is cooked in is a perfect match. Our only drawback was the shrimp when we ordered was overcooked when we ordered.
Muffuletta Sandwich ($14.99) with mortadella, salami, rosemary ham, cheddar, provolone, and house-made olive relish on toasted New Orleans sesame seed bread, served with red beans & rice and house-made pickles. Is a decent dish. Served warm it’s packed with flavor.
Joffrey’s Chicory Cold Brew ($5.99) with sweet cream is perfectly serviceable if you’re in the mood. It almost essentially tastes like a regular cold brew and the sweet cream adds some color and sweetness that isn’t overpowering.
House-filled Beignet ($4.49) with lemon ice box pie filling topped with lemon glaze is a pretty great little dessert. This isn’t quite a true “beignet” experience but it’s a fun and tasty dessert, especially if you like lemon. Tiana herself recommends a dessert first approach!
Here’s a full look at each menu including prices.
- Lily Pad and Lotus Cup Ceramic Set ($34.99) with House-filled Beignet
- Ray Firefly Glow Cube with purchase of beverage (limit ten (10) per person, per transaction) ($5.69)
- House-filled Beignet ($4.49) with Lemon Ice Box Pie Filling topped with Lemon Glaze
- House Gumbo ($16.99) with Braised Chicken, Andouille Sausage and Heirloom Rice
- 7 Greens Gumbo with Chicken & Andouille Sausage ($16.99) White Beans, Okra, Yams, Sweet Potatoes and Heirloom Rice
- 7 Greens Gumbo ($14.49) White Beans, Okra, Yams, Sweet Potatoes and Heirloom Rice. This is a plant-based dish.
- Cajun Spiced Half Chicken ($19.49) brushed with BBQ Sauce served with Baked Macaroni and Cheese & Coleslaw
- Muffuletta Sandwich ($14.99) Mortadella, Salami, Rosemary Ham, Cheddar, Provolone and House-made Olive Relish on Toasted New Orleans Sesame Seed Bread, served with Red Beans & Rice and House-made Pickles
- Beef Po’boy Sandwich ($15.99) Slow-cooked Beef in Gravy dressed with Shredded Lettuce, Tomato, Pickle and Mayonnaise on a Toasted New Orleans French Bread, served with Red Beans & Rice and House-made Pickles
- Gulf Shrimp and Grits ($17.49) simmered in Creole Sauce with Cheesy Grits
- Buttermilk Cornbread ($3.99)
- Joffrey’s™ Chicory Cold Brew with Sweet Cream ($5.99)
- Baked Macaroni and Cheese served with a Cuties® Mandarin Orange and Applesauce with choice of Small DASANI® Water or Small Lowfat Milk ($7.99)
- Roasted Chicken Drumstick ($8.49) with Sweet BBQ Sauce and Heirloom Rice served with a Cuties® Mandarin Orange and Applesauce with choice of Small DASANI® Water or Small Lowfat Milk. This is a Disney Check kid’s meal.
- Toasted Ham & Cheese Sandwich ($8.49) Savory Ham and Provolone served with a Cuties® Mandarin Orange and Applesauce with choice of Small DASANI® Water or Small Lowfat Milk. This is a Disney Check kid’s meal.
- Cold Brew ($5.49)
- Minute Maid® Fruit Punch ($2.49)
- Lowfat Milk served with choice of Fountain Beverage, Coffee or Hot Tea at time of purchase ($2.49)
- Chocolate Milk ($2.49)
- DASANI® Bottled Water ($4.39)
- Assorted Fountain Beverages – Regular ($4.59) Coca-Cola®, Diet Coke®, Sprite®, Barq’s® Root Beer, Coca-Cola® Zero Sugar, Minute Maid® Zero Sugar Lemonade, Gold Peak® Sweet Iced Tea, Gold Peak® Unsweetened Iced Tea
- Assorted Fountain Beverages – Large ($5.29) Coca-Cola®, Diet Coke®, Sprite®, Barq’s® Root Beer, Coca-Cola® Zero Sugar, Minute Maid® Zero Sugar Lemonade, Gold Peak® Sweet Iced Tea, Gold Peak® Unsweetened Iced Tea
Behind the Scenes
Several ingredients that are used at Tiana’s Palace are supplied from New Orleans including the andouille sausage, Carolina gold rice, and the bread. Tabasco and Crystal are two brands of hot sauces popular in New Orealns that are also used and the featured Joffrey’s Coffee Chicory Cold Brew uses cane syrup from Louisiana.
These photos below are recipe cards offering details about some of the specialty ingredients that are used in the food at Tiana’s Palace.
Some of the team responsible for the refresh of Tiana’s Palace include Chef John State (Culinary Director, Food and Beverage, Disneyland Resort) and Kim Irvine (Executive Creative Director, Walt Disney Imagineering) who respectively overaw the food offerings and the thematic updates. They worked in coordination with others including Michele Gendreau (Director, Food & Beverage Experience Integration, Disneyland Resort) and Lindell Skinner (Operations Manager, Food and Beverage, Disneyland Resort, and Co-Chair of PULSE Employee Resource Group)
See it for Yourself
Tiana’s Palace officially opened at Disneyland on September 7, 2023.