Disney confirmed that the new Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway attraction, which is on track to make its debut at Mickey’s Toontown in Disneyland, WILL require a Virtual Queue Reservation for access. Separate-cost individual Lightning Lane will also be available, in limited supply.
There’s NO standby line so in order to proceed full steam ahead into the new cartoon adventure, you have to be well-coordinated and faster than a locomotive!
The process can be confusing so we’ve broken out every step to help you maximize your day!
WHEN To Get a Virtual Queue Boarding Group
As a reminder, the attraction’s Virtual Queue is only accessible via the Disneyland mobile app, and you may only experience the attraction by joining the Virtual Queue (unless you spring for an upcharge Lightning Lane, see below). There are two distribution times for Virtual Queue Barding Groups to secure your spot but you can only snag one Boarding Group per day.
Here’s what you need to know:
- 7 AM: Requests to join the Virtual Queue at begin at 7:00 AM (prior to park entry). Guests will need to have their park tickets linked to their Disney account AND have a valid theme park reservation to Disneyland park. One hour prior to this enrollment time, you can log into the app to designate your reservation party, this will streamline your experience once enrollment begins.
- 1 PM: Requests to join the second distribution of the Virtual Queue begin at 1:00 PM. Guests must have a valid ticket AND theme park reservation PLUS they must have entered either Disneyland park OR Disney California Adventure park (with a Park Hopper ticket) by the second distribution time. Guests beginning their day at Disney California Adventure park may enter Disneyland park with their Park Hopper ticket (or Magic Key) after 1 p.m. for their Boarding Group.
- IMPORTANT: Even though there are two enrollment times, you can only get one Virtual Queue Boarding Group for Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway per day. However, if you miss the morning enrollment, you CAN try again for the 1:00 PM enrollment.
HOW to Get a Virtual Queue Boarding Group
In order to secure a Boarding Group number in the Virtual Queue for Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway, you will need to have park tickets already linked to your Disney account AND have a valid theme park reservation as outlined above.
To grab your Virtual Queue Boarding Group:
- Open the Disneyland App and make sure you are signed in.
- From the Disneyland App home screen, you will see your theme park reservation. Make sure your tickets are also linked.
- A few minutes before the Virtual Queue enrollment begins (see details above), open the Virtual Queue section in the app.
- Tap the “Join Virtual Queue” button to be taken into the enrollment page.
- Tap the “Confirm Your Party” button for Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway. From here, you can either swipe down on this page to refresh it or click on the “Refresh” button at the bottom of the page. It’s important to make sure you’re letting the page actually refresh between each tap or swipe. If you continually just keep tapping the button or swiping down on the page, it will never actually update to show you the “Join” button.
- When enrollment time starts, a blue “Join” button will appear (it will replace the Refresh button on the page). Tap it quickly — YOU ARE NOT FINISHED YET!
- You will be taken to a “Create Your Party” section. Quickly tap the “Join” button a second time. DO NOT hesitate on this screen. Reservations are typically gone within the first moments of enrollment start. Tap quickly to confirm your reservation, you can always fix it later if there are problems. To help streamline this step, you can click the “Confirm Your Party” button up to ONE HOUR prior to the Virtual Queue enrollment begins to designate your reservation party.
- If there are issues with your reservation party (maybe not everyone’s ticket showed up, for example) simply go to a Guest Relations kiosk or to City Hall/Chamber of Commerce and a Cast Member can help you address the issue. Keep in mind, you can always FIX a reservation but you have to have one to begin with!
- You’ll receive a push notification via the Disneyland App if/when your group is called to return. You’ll have up to an hour from the time of the alert to go to the attraction entrance. You can also check on your Virtual Queue Boarding Group status from the App at any point during the day.
Getting a Individual Lightning Lane
If you missed your chance to get a Virtual Queue Boarding Group, Disney confirmed that the attraction will also feature Individual Lightning Lane entry for this attraction, subject to availability. That means you can pay an upcharge premium through the Disneyland app for the opportunity to ride.
Upon entering Disneyland, you can make your individual purchases within the Disney Genie Service Tip Board or My Day itinerary in the Disneyland app. Pricing for individual Lightning Lane entrance will vary by date and purchase is subject to limited availability; pricing can vary from anywhere between $15 or more. Be sure to check the Disneyland app on the day of your visit for current prices and attraction availability.
About the Attraction
The brand-new Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway attraction at Disneyland is officially open and it’s on track to bring miles of smiles in this zany off-the-rails adventure starring Mickey Mouse and all his pals. It debus as part of the Disney 100 Years of Wonder campaign.
See it for Yourself
Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway opens in Mickey’s Toontown at Disneyland on January 27, 2023!