Disney’s “The Lion King” roars to life at the Fantasyland Theatre in Disneyland Park with the arrival of a newly re-worked TALE OF THE LION KING. We were there for opening day and have full video of the stunning new show that really surprised and delighted us!
This live stage production introduces all-new set pieces, original musical arrangements and choreography, with every aspect of the show honoring and drawing inspiration from the cultural roots of this timeless story.
The show is a surprisingly effective upgrade to the 2019 version of the show that debuted at Disney California Adventure Park. The rousing new version at Disneyland still centers on a traveling troupe known as The Storytellers of the Pride Lands who re-enact the tale of how a lion cub became a king. Through dialogue, song, dance and percussion guests are invited back into the unforgettable story of THE LION KING. The photos shared on this article are © Disney. All rights reserved.
© Disney. All rights reserved.
TALE OF THE LION KING show features unique arrangements of classic songs, including “Circle of Life,” “Hakuna Matata” and “Can You Feel the Love Tonight” plus a fun blending of “I Jus Can’t Wait (To Be King)” and “Be Prepared.”
From May 28 to July 4, families and kids can unleash their roaring creativity with a coloring craft activity which they can later use to dance and sing along during the interactive “Hakuna Matata” musical number.
© Disney. All rights reserved.
- The show is brought to life by an expanded cast of 20 actors, singers, dancers and drummers. Together, they form an ensemble called The Storytellers of the Pride Lands.
- “Tale of the Lion King” is a story-theatre adaption of the beloved animated film. As the lead narrator Mwongozo recounts Simba’s journey, Storytellers embody the roles of King Mufasa and his brother Scar; young Simba and Nala; and jokesters Pumbaa and Timon.
- Disney Live Entertainment designed new costumes and hairstyles for the ensemble dancers. The new costumes are elaborately designed with inspiration from the story, with details including vibrant colors, layering fabrics and African-styled headwear.
- At the back of the stage is a large screen that sets the mood for each scene with original media created specifically for “Tale of the Lion King.” The screen serves as an additional storytelling device that supports the tale being shared on stage by the ensemble of Storytellers.
- Choreographed by brothers Kevin and Marcel Wilson, this all-new staging of “Tale of the Lion King” incorporates exciting styles of dance such as African, house, stepping, jazz funk and contemporary.
- Among the show’s musical arrangements is an innovative mashup of Simba’s energetic song “I Just Can’t Wait to Be King” and Scar’s stirring warning “Be Prepared.”
- With Swahili as the most popular language of Sub-Saharan Africa and spoken by approximately 50 million people, select Swahili dialogue and lyrics are interweaved into this theatrical production.
See it for Yourself
TALE OF THE LION KING opened at the Fantasyland Theatre in Disneyland on May 28, 2022.
The show runs Thursdays through Mondays at the Fantasyland Theatre, check the official entertainment schedule for showtimes.