Calaca Mamas Cantina is the new kid in town and she’s ready to serve up sumptuous feasts in a Dia De Los Muertos themed new cantina. Replacing the infamous Captain Kidd’s Buffet across the street from the Happiest Place on Earth, the new eatery is expected to open later this month.
The location conveniently walkable location directly across the street from Disneyland and is actually closer to walk to than Tortilla Jo’s in Downtown Disney. The fiery new concept aims to tempt magic-seekers from across the street with a wide variety of Mexican favorites alongside some fun twists on classics. Below are some details shared by Visit Anaheim.
Tempting the Palate
The full service Day of the Dead-themed Mexican restaurant, Calaca Mamas Cantina is family-friendly concept, conceived and founded by restaurateurs and sisters Angela and Mariam El Haj. The restaurant will be open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and the menu is inspired by the sisters’ love of Mexican food and culture. Highlights include:
- Breakfast includes:
- Chilaquiles con huevos
- Breakfast Tacos
- Huevos Rancheros
- Breakfast Burritos or bowls
- Appetizers include:
- Gooey Queso Fundido
- Fresh made Guacamole
- Tots con Todo made with carne asada on top of crispy tater tots smothered in queso and garnished with jalapeňos, crema, guacamole, and pico de gallo
- Lunch and dinner includes:
- Walking Taco featuring chicken tinga and carne asada, chihuahua and cheddar cheese, shredded lettuce, pico de gallo, crema all in a bag of Fritos corn chips
- Favorites such as include tacos, burritos, and bowls which can be ordered with the guests option of protein
- Especiales de la Casa serve up dishes like the Achiote Al Mar made with grilled achiote marinated mahi mahi, avocado salad, and charred tomatillo salsa, served with red rice and beans.
- Desserts include:
- Tabletop Churro Cart
- Abuela’s Flan, which is based on a family recipe passed down to the sisters
The bar program, expertly crafted by mixologist TJ Majeske, will include a selection of margaritas and specialty refreshments including:
- Churros on Ice Margarita, and the Piña Rica which was inspired by the fan-favorite Dole Whip and can be ordered boozy or virgin for the kids.
- All the cocktails will be handcrafted and prepared in small batches utilizing hand squeezed juices, housemade syrups, and fresh produce as garnishes.
A Significant Renovation
- The space, which was renovated by Architect Charles Ramm, will seat 200 guests, including a dining room with several banquettes for parties of four, and a larger, semi-private area to accommodate parties up to 12.
- The El Haj sisters collaborated with Deborah Mayne on the restaurant design to create a one-of-a-kind space, inspired by Day of the Dead celebrations, which includes large scale murals by local street artists from the Los Angeles design studio Splatterhaus, along with art collected from the sisters’ travels to Mexico, and a central double-sided altar.
- The large altar, connecting the dining room and cantina, is adorned with marigold flowers and is dedicated to sisters’ parents who have both passed. In the cantina area, double doors open onto the patio, giving the space an open-air atmosphere. And the patio, which is sure to become a fan-favorite, will feature a large fire pit and unparalleled nighttime views of the Disneyland® fireworks display.
See it for Yourself
Calaca Mamas Cantina is located at 1550 S. Harbor Blvd across the street from Disneyland and is set to open late May 2022.