A TOUCH OF DISNEY is here and MouseInfo has got a taste of it! Although we couldn’t be in the parks to experience it first-hand, we’re happy to share a pretty thorough pictorial filled with pictures and thoughts courtesy of our friend Dinah who wanted to help bring some of the mouse info! After 20+ years, it’s great to have such a helpful community of friends willing to to share their time and dedication with us!
So with that, our fancy A TOUCH OF DISNEY pictorial is ready for you now. ENJOY!
Much like the experience pre-pandemic, the experience for A TOUCH OF DISNEY begins the Mickey and Friends Parking Structure.
What to Know
- Parking. It’s the first part of the experience and remains a low-light of the Disneyland Resort experience.
- Seemingly to prevent crowding in the esplanade and Downtown Disney, Mickey and Friends parking structure (the official area for the event included with admission) does not open until 11:30am. This can and will create a little bit of a backup at the beginning of the event.
- Bring patience. Expect delays and be ready to go through health AND security screenings before you’re on your merry DCA way!
- Dinah shared that she arrived on property near 11:15am right when they opened up the cones to get into Mickey and Friends (which does not open until 11:30am) but she said friends who were less than 10 minutes behind her to park/enter encountered long lines for parking, screenings, and to enter Disney California Adventure. Early birds still get the worm, even with limited capacity.
Don’t step on the mome raths.
Honda remains a sponsor of the Disneyland Resort.
Without attractions in operation, one of the most immediate ways to get a little bit of Disney magic is with the characters! Socially distanced opportunities around the park bring the characters to life in new ways.
What to Know
- What time?? Seemingly to prevent crowding, there are no posted schedules for when characters appear and Cast Members are also not giving any specifics as to when characters will arrive at pre-determined locations.
- It works so well! Removing the love-and-shove technique of hug-autograph-photo-next is a decidedly marked upgrade to character experiences in the park. While a hug from Mickey or a special moment with a Disney princess is unmatched, this is a refreshing way to experience character magic and no need to wait in a line for it to happen!
Although not officially billed as a food festival, noshing is a big part of the allure.
Included with admission is a $25 pre-loaded dining gift card to use for good and beverage (but not alcohol) during the event at both restaurants AND Festival Marketplaces.
There are six special food kiosks setup around the park offering eclectic selections paying homage to both Disneyland and Disney California Adventure. Disney has previously posted a full TOUCH OF DISNEY menu selection here.
What to Know
- Ask questions. Read signs. Make sure you’re in the right line for your situation! Each Marketplace kiosk offers both Mobile Pickup or Walk-up Ordering. So that’s two separate lines for each individual booth. Don’t make the mistake of getting in the wrong line!
- More clear signage and perhaps more Cast Members directing the operation would have been helpful.
Lamplight Lounge and Carthay Circle Lounge – Alfresco Dining are available during the event.
What to Know
- Legacy discount or not? There was a little bit of confusion regarding when this is applicable. From Dinah’s experience there’s important things to know:
- Sit Down Restaurants will honor the Legacy Passholder discount as they did before with Annual Passes
- Quick Service Restaurants are only giving Legacy Passholder discounts for Mobile Order service. Dinah waited in a walk-up line at Cocina Cucamonga and was told that she could only get her discount for that location by using Mobile Order.
- Mobile check-in – If you have a confirmed reservation at Lamplight Lounge or Carthay Circle Lounge – Alfresco Dining, you’ll receive a push notification on the Disneyland mobile app when your check-in window arrives. Scan your QR code near the restaurant’s entrance; there’s no need to visit the host stand. You will be seated once your entire party has arrived.
- Mobile walk-up – While dining reservations are highly recommended, you can also add yourself to the mobile walk-up list (subject to availability) for Lamplight Lounge and Carthay Circle Lounge – Alfresco Dining using the Disneyland mobile app. If you don’t find walk-up list availability right away, you can check estimated wait times and look for reservations that may be available later in the day.
It’s unclear WHY but there’s a cute collectible coin available at Lamplight Lounge. It’s $8.99 for two.
Unlimited PhotoPass downloads are available to event attendees and aside from the park’s regular visuals, there’s special photo-ops all around, too!
What to Know
- Keep an eye out! One thing Dinah wished there was more of during the event was dedicated photographers. The few on-hand that she did spot were fantastic as always but as an event offering it felt under-utilized with so few photographers to actually chalk up the complimentary downloads.
Legacy Passholders have the option to take pictures at a dedicated photo-op celebrating the 20th anniversary of Disney California Adventure plus pick up a special Touch of Disney button and Legacy Passholder magnet.
What to Know:
- “Legacy Passholders” is the term for Annual Passholders who held active Passports as of March 14, 2020. The former Disneyland Resort Annual Passport program has been discontinued.
Dinah had an overall positive experience with the event despite frustration points along the way. Below are some outstanding parts of the day that made a difference for her.
- Crowd size! It’s always a Disney dream to be in a park that doesn’t feel crowded and A TOUCH OF DISNEY delivers with a park that feels light and airy in terms of crowds.
- Upbeat! Perhaps partly as part of the opening weekend buzz but Cast Members and guests alike helped create a really happy and positive vibe during the event.
- Music Loop! Although a little short, the park has a special event-specific playlist with bop after bop. It creates a running soundtrack for the day and these songs will definitely become part of the special memory of a special and unprecedented day in the parks!
See it for Yourself
A TOUCH OF DISNEY is completely SOLD OUT. The event takes place Thursdays through Mondays from 12:00 PM to 8:00 PM now through April 19, 2021.
Thanks again to fabulous Dinah for letting us visit DCA vicariously through her photographs!