PROTECT THE PRIDE is a new a global conservation campaign by Disney to raise awareness of the crisis facing lions and other wildlife across Africa. With more than $1.5 million donated to the Wildlife Conservation Network’s (WCN) Lion Recovery Fund (LRF) and its partners, the campaign focuses on protecting and revitalizing lion populations and the habitats they need to thrive.
Disney will make additional grants to support the initiative and is also launching a consumer-facing support system that is expected to amass to a total contribution of up to $3 million. Fans may participate by taking part in celebratory experiences and purchasing special-edition products, as part of The Lion King PROTECT THE PRIDE campaign.
It’s been 25 years since Disney released the original version of The Lion King; sadly, during that time Africa has lost half of its lions, and only about 20,000 remain. Disney is supporting the Lion Recovery Fund and their vision to double the lion population by 2050 through efforts that engage communities to ensure a brighter future for African wildlife and their habitats. Protecting lions supports the entire circle of life in Africa, from hyenas to meerkats. Lions face rising threats; however, research shows their numbers can be strengthened if they and the habitats they share with people and other African wildlife are adequately protected.
See it for Yourself
Fans can explore The Lion King PROTECT THE PRIDE website to learn more about The Lion King PROTECT THE PRIDE campaign and find ways that they can get involved, including:
- Take part in PROTECT THE PRIDE lion-related Disney experiences celebrating WCN’s LRF:
- The Kilimanjaro Safaris® Expedition at Disney’s Animal Kingdom® Theme Park in Florida during opening week of The Lion King film (July 19-25);
- Purchase special-edition Simba and Nala plush lions available at certain Disney stores, on shopDisney.com, and in select U.S. Disney Parks and Resorts locations
- Disney Theatrical Productions will celebrate with audiences on Broadway during the month of July, providing campaign information in Playbills® for The Lion King; learn about the history of Disney’s commitment to conservation in films and Disney Publishing Worldwide’s support of the campaign through The Art and Making of The Lion King book.
- Disney is supporting the above and other global opportunities in South Africa, United Kingdom, France, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Portugal, Spain, Italy, Japan, New Zealand, Australia and the United States. Disney.com/LionKingProtectThePride
- Support lion conservation efforts and learn more about the Lion Recovery Fund at lionrecoveryfund.org.
- Follow The Lion King, the Disney Conservation Fund, and the Lion Recovery Fund on social media to stay up to date on #TheLionKing #ProtectThePride campaign and share information with your friends and family about how they can help.