Chili was one of Walt Disney’s favorite foods, one which he reportedly ate on a frequent basis. To this day, this recipe is used in the Commissary at the Disney Studios in Burbank and served ever day.
EDITOR’S NOTE: Please be aware the content on this page is re-posted from 2010 so details and information may no longer be accurate.
This recipe has been renowned for several years. It was recovered from Walt’s personal files and is recognized as the official recipe for Walt’s Chili.
Recipe makes 6 to 8 servings.
- 2 lbs. coarse ground beef
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ cup oil
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 tsp. chili powder (depending on taste)
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- 1 large can solid pack tomatoes
- 2 lbs. dry pink beans
- Salt to taste
For a spicier chili, add a punch of the following spices:
- 1 little yellow Mexican chili pepper
- Coriander seeds
- Chili seeds
- Cumin seeds
- Fennel seeds
- Dry ginger
- Soak beans overnight in cold water. Drain, add water to cover (2 inches over beans), and simmer with onions until tender (about 4 hours).
- Meanwhile, prepare sauce by browning meat and minced garlic in oil. Add remaining ingredients, and simmer for 1 hour.
- When beans are tender, add sauce to beans and simmer for ½ hour.
MouseInfo.com has been around since May 2000 and in that time the web space has evolved dramatically. From our MouseInfo MIBOARDS forums to our info wiki and everything inbetween, there’s been A LOT of change over the years. What has always remained consistent, however, is that we constantly strive to deliver you the best info about the mouse. The #MIrewind series is our attempt to bring back some of our best and favorite content posted over the years that’s been lost as we’ve continued to evolve and grow our website.