In THE PRINCESS AND THE FROG, Tiana’s Famous Beignets are the bee’s knees and the talk of town. With a little help from Tiana’s Cookbook, you can make your own with a recipe so easy that even frogs could do it!
EDITOR’S NOTE: Please be aware the content on this page is re-posted from 2010 so details and information may no longer be accurate.
This recipe comes from The Princess and the Frog: Tiana’s Cookbook: Recipes for Kids and can be found on pages 6-7.
Recipe makes 14 to 16 servings.
- 3 cups flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
- In a medium bowl, combine 2 3/4 cups of the flour with the sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg. Whisk everything together.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, water, egg, and vanilla extract. Stir in the flour mixture from Step 1.
- Use some of the remaining flour to dust your work surface. Place the dough on it and pat it into a large 1/2-inch-thick square. Dust the top with more flour if it gets sticky. Next, slice the dough into 2 1/2-inch squares.
- Now it’s time to fry the beignets—be sure to ask an adult to help you! Heat 2 inches of vegetable oil in a heavy saucepan on the stovetop until the temperature reaches 325° on a deep-fat thermometer. Check the temperature every so often while cooking. If it gets too hot, temporarily turn the heat down, or off.
- Carefully drop 3 dough squares at a time into the hot oil. Fry them for 3 minutes, turn them over, and continue frying for 3 more minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the beignets to a wire rack set atop paper towels to drain. Dust the beignets with confectioners’ sugar, and enjoy!
This recipe is inspired by The Princess and the Frog on Disney Blu-ray and DVD March 16, 2010!
MouseInfo.com has been around since May 2000 and in that time the web space has evolved dramatically. From our MouseInfo MIBOARDS forums to our info wiki and everything inbetween, there’s been A LOT of change over the years. What has always remained consistent, however, is that we constantly strive to deliver you the best info about the mouse. The #MIrewind series is our attempt to bring back some of our best and favorite content posted over the years that’s been lost as we’ve continued to evolve and grow our website.
MORE INFO: Take a jump back and enjoy some of our other great content in the #MIrewind
Reprinted with permission from the book The Princess and the Frog: Tiana’s Cookbook: Recipes for Kids Copyright © 2009 Disney Enterprises, Inc. Published by Disney Press, an imprint of Disney Book Group.