The Monte Cristo Sandwich is perhaps one of the most notorious menu items at Disneyland. Served at the Blue Bayou Restaurant since it opened in 1967, the crispy, melty, salty sweet hunk of decadence is one of the few menu items that endures over the decades.
EDITOR’S NOTE: Please be aware the content on this page is re-posted from 2010 so details and information may no longer be accurate.
Recipe makes 4 servings.
- 1 egg
- 1 3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons water
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 8 slices egg bread (challah works well), sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 8 thin slices ham
- 8 thin slices turkey
- 8 thin slices Swiss cheese
- 3 cups canola oil
- Confectioners sugar
- Blackberry preserves
- Line a cookie sheet with paper towels; set aside. Whisk the egg and water together in a mixing bowl. Add flour, salt, and baking powder and whisk thoroughly for 2 to 3 minutes or until smooth, scraping sides of bowl. On one slice of bread, arrange 2 slices of ham, turkey, and cheese, covering the bread evenly. Place another slice of bread on top and slice each sandwich in half diagonally.
- Heat oil to between 365 degrees F and 375 degrees F in a 10-inch pan. Do not let the oil reach a higher temperature than this; if the oil starts to smoke, turn the heat down. Dip half of the sandwich into the batter, allowing excess to drain, and very carefully place into the oil. Repeat with the other sandwich half. Cook 3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Place the cooked sandwich on the prepared cookie sheet in a warm oven until ready to serve. Repeat with the other three sandwiches.
- Cook one at a time, and allow the oil to reach the desired temperature between each. Sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar and serve with blackberry preserves on the side.
MouseInfo.com has been around since May 2000 and in that time the web space has evolved dramatically. From our MouseInfo MIBOARDS forums to our info wiki and everything inbetween, there’s been A LOT of change over the years. What has always remained consistent, however, is that we constantly strive to deliver you the best info about the mouse. The #MIrewind series is our attempt to bring back some of our best and favorite content posted over the years that’s been lost as we’ve continued to evolve and grow our website.
MORE INFO: Take a jump back and enjoy some of our other great content in the #MIrewind