Walt Disney World dropped a bombshell of announcements this evening as they look ahead to a phased reopening beginning July 11, pending state approval. Perhaps most striking is that FastPass+ and Extra Magic Hours are being suspended temporarily to accommodate various requirements that have arisen due to COVID-19 coronavirus safety precautions.
Also fundamentally different will be a new theme park reservation system on DisneyWorld.com that will require all guests to make a reservation in advance for theme park entry. Below is a summary of the biggest changes revealed tonight.
New Ticket Sales and Hotel Reservations
Theme park reservations will be limited due to attendance limitations and will be subject to availability.
- New ticket sales and Disney Resort hotel reservations are currently paused
- Guests with existing tickets and reservations are being given priority initially for reopening procedure
- Existing ticket holders and Annual Passholders will be able to make a theme park reservation before new tickets are sold; additional details to follow
- New sales of tickets and Disney Resort hotel reservations resume after that period of time
Dining and Experiences
All existing reservations for dining and experience bookings are being canceled — including Disney dining plans included in packages — through the end of the year.
- New dining and experience bookings will reopen with more limited numbers closer to when the parks reopen
- Restaurants and other experiences such as behind-the-scenes tours will be limited in capacity, and other experiences may remain closed
- Change from 180-day booking window to a 60-day booking window for dining and experience bookings
FastPass+ and Extra Magic Hours
- FastPass+ service will be suspended for the time being to use additional queue space to manage capacity at attractions and maintain physical distancing.
- Automatic cancellation will be done for all existing FastPass+ selections
- Extra Magic Hours will be temporarily suspended
Disney has indicated that they will be reaching out to guests affected by these recent updates with additional information and details on options, including refunds.
See it for Yourself
Pending approvals, Walt Disney World theme park phased reopening begin July 11, 2020, resort/hotel phased opening begin June 15, 2020.
MORE INFO: “Know Before You Go” hub at DisneyWorld.com/Updates,
they are opening the hotels a month before the parks??
We had the SAME thought. Why would you go if you can’t go to the parks?!