D23 has been on a roll this year with tons of fan events across the country and this weekend we were invited by Disney to check out D23’s Saturday Morning on the Lot. Hosted at the gorgeous and historic Walt Disney Studio lot in Burbank, we were treated to a several hour event that included a nostalgic look back and a peek at the future.
An hour-and-a-half zoomed by quickly in a jam-packed program that relived the fun-filled mornings ABC’s One Saturday Morning programming block that included Recess, Proud Family, Pepper Ann, Teacher’s Pet, and Kim Possible. As a special treat, we were also treated to some news and reveals plus exclusive (still unfinished) footage of marketing promos with Sadie Stanley as Kim Possible in the upcoming live-action feature. We also got to hear a little bit about the new Big Hero 6 The Series and the tidbit that Christy Carlson Romano (voice of Kim Possible) has a recurring role in the show as new character Trina.
Some of the talent assembled included:
- Christy Carlson Romano voice of Kim Possible and actress on Even Stevens, Cadet Kelly.
- Bob Schooley and Mark McCorkle, creators, writers and executive producers of Kim Possible. Executive producers of Big Hero 6: The Series.
- Nick Filippi storyboard artist/supervisor on Kim Possible. Executive producer and supervising director of Big Hero 6 The Series.
- Bill and Cheri Steinkellner, acclaimed show producers, creators, and screenwriters and co-masterminds of Teacher’s Pet.
- Gary Baseman, who served as co- co-creator, art director, writer, and producer of Teacher’s Pet.
- Paul Germain and Joe Ansolabehere, creators, writers and producers of Recess.
- Eric Keyes, art director and character designer, of Recess.
- Chuck Sheetz, producer and director, of Recess.
- Howy Parkins, director and storyboard artist, of Recess.
- Mike Peraza, Disney artist and conceptual and layout designer for The Proud Family, along with the original DuckTales, Chip ’n’ Dale Rescue Rangers, Darkwing Duck, TaleSpin, and Goof Troop.
With our D23 Souvenir Bucket full of popcorn we were welcomed by Michael Vargo, Head of D23.
Inside the theater lobby, there was a display featuring ephemera from One Saturday Morning programming.
The Meet and Greet
After the scheduled programming ended, we had the opportunity to have some quick face time and autographs with the panelists. Also on hand straight from Disneyland were the Kim Possible and Ron Stoppable characters who were happy to pose for photos and interact with guests.
A full cereal bar with milk and juice was available along with some more hearty options including scrambled eggs, applewood chicken bacon, country potatoes, french toast, and fruit.
Photo-ops representing the various shows were also available for all the selfie needs and we also the the opportunity to shop in the Studio Store! Not bad, right? On our way out of the event, we were treated to a gift bag that included a throwback juice cup with One Saturday Morning characters on it and some bonus movie tickets!
But Wait, There’s More!
Dozens of events have been planned this year and there’s still plenty more in store including:
- September 8: The Official Walt Disney Studios Tour—Presented by D23, Burbank, Calif.
- September 8: D23’s Magical Screening Series: Mary Poppins, Walt Disney World Resort
- September 15: D23’s Magical Screening Series: Mary Poppins, Burbank, Calif.
- October: D23’s Spell-tacular Disney Fanniversary, Burbank, Calif.
- October 3: Sip & Stroll, Walt Disney World Resort
- October 5: Lunch with a Disney Legend: TBA, Walt Disney World Resort
- November 16–18: D23 Destination D: Happy Birthday Mickey, Walt Disney World Resort
- December: D23 Holiday Event at Walt Disney World Resort
- December: Light Up the Season with D23, Burbank, Calif.
- December 1: The Official Walt Disney Studios Tour—Presented by D23, Burbank, Calif.
Find out more about D23 Events at the official website: D23.com/events