Judi Dench, Josh Gad, Lara McDonnel and Nonso Anozie have all been confirmed today to be starring in Disney’s upcoming live-action adaptation of ARTEMIS FOWL. Directed by Kenneth Branagh and produced by Branagh and Judy Hofflund, the film will be based off bestselling book series by Eoin Colfer and with a screenplay by award-winning playwright Conor McPherson.
- Ferdia Shaw, an Irish newcomer, will make his onscreen debut in the title role. The search for an actor to play Artemis Fowl was extensive, with casting director Lucy Bevan seeing over 1200 candidates for the part.
- Josh Gad (“Murder on the Orient Express,” “Marshall,” “Beauty and the Beast”) has signed on for the role of Mulch Diggums, a kleptomaniacal dwarf who works for the fairies—and himself.
- Academy Award® winner Judi Dench (“Victoria & Abdul,” “Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children,” “Skyfall”) takes on the role of Commander Root, the steely leader of the fairy police force (LEPrecon).
- Lara McDonnell (“The Delinquent Season,” “Love, Rosie,” “The Walk Invisible”) has been cast in the role of Captain Holly Short, the elf hero.
- Nonso Anozie (“Cinderella,” “The Grey,” “Ender’s Game”) will play Butler, Artemis Fowl’s formidable bodyguard.
Descended from a long line of criminal masterminds, 12-year-old genius Artemis Fowl finds himself in a battle of strength and cunning against a powerful, hidden race of fairies who may be behind his father’s disappearance.
Production will begin early next year in the U.K.
ARTEMIS FOWL flies into theaters August 9, 2019.