There’s so many ways to express your fandom and Leslie Kay (author of Disney Publishing’s DisneyBound: Dress Disney and Make It Fashion and the viral blog The Disneybound) took to San Diego Comic-Con 2023 with a panel to discuss how fashion and creativity can be fused together for super geeky results.
The panel of Disneybound pros included Tiffany Sutton, Pernell Langhorne III, Dolly Lee, Mikey Louie, Erika Kurzawa, Amber Lena, Nesreen Mustafa, Janelle Cheyenne, and Kelsey Walmer.
The lively discussion examined how Disneybound fashion has evolved and grown over the last 13 years and how 100 years of Disney film and fashion history have influenced the community and their creativity. Here’s some of the panel highlights and protips:
- Panelists wore outfits from each decade starting with 1920.
- Never be afraid to use colors you wouldn’t normally wear — that is the key tennet of exploring fahsion boundaries!
- You can start in your closet and see what simple items you have. If you have a favorite Loungefly bag, coordinate around that!
- Pro Tip: Buy a pair of yellow shoes, you’ll be surprised how many Disney characters wear yellow shoes
- Add accessories for context if you’re doing an obscure bound. e.g. For a dog character, maybe bone earrings or a headband to represent the collar help sell the bound.
See it for Yourself
San Diego Comic-Con took place July 19 – July 23, 2023.