Disney California Adventure has officially kicked off its 2023 Lunar New Year Celebration and it brings with it once again a miniature food festival to ensure a tasty new year! Several fan favorites have returned and new menu options are also available to tempt the palate.
We tried several options this year and invite you now for a first taste of the food and drink available at Disney California Adventure for the 2023 Lunar New Year! ENJOY!
What We Tried
Red Spice Fried Chicken Bites
Red Spice Fried Chicken Bites ($8.75) is fried chicken chicharrons in spicy red chile sauce. They’re pretty good but the success of this dish is 100% going to rely on if it’s fresh (and crispy) or not. Ours was incredibly soggy. Still, despite the texture disappointment, the flavors were robust both sweet and spicy.
Pepperoni Pizza Bao
Pepperoni Pizza Bao ($9) comes with two bao buns served with marinara. This dish is a mess, literally and figuratively. The baos are served on a bed of marinara making it messy to eat. We were also hard-pressed to find any pepperoni. The flavors are NOT there, skip this one.
Dak Bulgogi (Sip & Savor portion from Paradise Garden Grill) is Korean BBQ chicken served with rice and kimchi. This might be a contender for us as best of the fest. The grilled chicken has a nice char on it and the flavors of the marinade are fantastic. The veggies and rice served with it are a great complement and if you like kimchi, there’s a heaping scoop.
Quesabirria Eggroll ($9.00) is filled with Oaxaca cheese, beef birria, and a side of guajillo pepper consommé. Just like the tacos served at Cocina Cucamonga, this is one tasty dish. The eggroll wrapper makes a suitable replacement for a tortilla and the dipping sauce is a delight.
Gochujang Elote ($7.50) features steamed Corn on the Cob rolled in Gochujang Aїoli and Cotija Cheese, drizzled with spicy Gochujang Sauce. We wished we loved this more but while the gochujang was tasty and the corn itself with the traditional toppings was tasty, it didn’t quite all meld together into an interesting bite.
Bok Choy & Mushroom Dumpling
Bok Choy & Mushroom Dumpling ($8.75) is served with a black garlic sauce and is a perfectly serviceable option. The flavors are good but for those used to sinking their teeth into a meat-filled dumpling, the texture here could be a bit of a let down but overall it’s worth a try.
Chicken Bao with Curry Dipping Sauce
Chicken Bao with Curry Dip ($) features a steamed bao with chicken, butternut squash, and kaffir lime served with a spicy red curry sauce. We were very excited for this and it was hands down the worst we tried. Nothing about this dished worked.
Mickey Chinese Hot Dog Bun
Mickey Chinese Hot Dog Bun ($7.50) is a great dish if you get it when it’s fresh. We tried this in previous years it was offered and found the freshness of the bread is crucial to the success of the dish so if you happen to be at the kiosk when a fresh batch has arrived then you should find yourself pleased with the offering.
Pork Bahn Mi
Pork Belly Bahn Mi (Sip & Savor portion from Paradise Garden Grill) is a pretty nice option. We tried this in previous years it was offered (with pork belly instead of just pork) and the veggies were all nice and crispy and the baguette was a nice compliment. An entree sized portion is available.
Char Siu Pork Bao
Char Siu Pork Bao ($9) is filled with Chinese BBQ Pork with Pickled Red Onions and Jalapeño. We tried this in previous years it was offered and found the Bao to be soft and moist and perfectly sticky.
Spicy Pork DanDan Noodles
Spicy Pork Dandan Noodles ($8.50) features Pan-fried Noodles, Ground Pork, and a spicy Tri-Chile Blend Sauce. It was a decent dish but not our favorite, it should fit the bill if you’re looking for some noodles.
Lotus Flower Glow Cube ($6.25) can be added to any drink for a colorful splash.
Ready to Taste?
2023 Lunar New Year Sip & Savor Tasting Passport is available to ALL guests giving you the opportunity to taste your way through your choice of SIX different dishes or non-alcoholic beverages from the Festival Marketplace kiosks.
Redemptions for the Sip & Savor Tasting Passport can also be redeemed at participating locations where smaller portions of main dishes are offered.
- Regular ($45)
- Magic Key Passholders ($42)
VALUE ALERT: To get the most bang for your buck out of your Sip & Savor Tasting Passport, you’ll just want to make sure you don’t get any of the items that cost less than $7.50 (regular) or $7.00 (Passholder). Considering the prices, that shouldn’t be terribly difficult as long as you avoid desserts and drinks! Here’s a list of everything you can get:
Save Time… Maybe!
As is now the case for most DCA celebrations, Festival Marketplace kiosks are equipped to sell you items from ANY of the kiosks. Find a kiosk with a short line and you can jump in order your food from another kiosk. If you’re a pre-planner, you could make all of your purchases at once. Just take your receipt to the appropriate kiosks to get your items!
The only thing to be aware of is that sometimes items DO sell out. They are usually re-stocked that same day but caveat emptor!
More to Savor
Aside from the Festival Marketplace kiosks you can find even more more tasty bites…
Paradise Garden Grill Menu
- Shrimp Lo Mein – Lo Mein Noodles tossed with Shrimp, Mushrooms, Onions, Carrots and Bok Choy – $14.99
- Bánh Mì – Grilled Pork Belly with Pickled Carrots, Cucumbers, Daikon, and Jalapeños with a spicy Mayo – $14.49
- Dak Bulgogi – Korean BBQ Chicken served with Rice and Kimchi – $17.99
- Sweet and Sour Whole Fish – Served with Steamed Rice and Stir-fried Vegetables, served Family-style for Two – $27.99
- Kimchi Bokkeumbap – Kimchi, Potato, Carrot and Onion Fried Rice with Egg and Korean Chili Paste, topped with crispy Sweet and Sour Tofu and Black Sesame Seeds – $14.49
- Honeydew Milk Tea Parfait – Layers of Lemon Cake, Brown Sugar Gel and Honeydew Milk Tea Mousse – $6.99
- Lotus Flower Glow Cube – $5.69
- Tiger Milk Boba Tea with BobaBam™ Brown Sugar – $6.49
- Blackberry Soju Cocktail – Soju, Blackberry Purée and Lemon Juice with a hint of Ginger.- $15.00
- Four Sons, Lunar New Year IPA (ABV 3.8%) – $13.25
- Anderson Valley Brewing Co., Black Rice Ale (ABV 3.8%) – $12.00
Paradise Gardens Food and Beverage Cart
- Chicken Bao with Curry Dip – Steamed bao with chicken, butternut squash, and kaffir lime served with a spicy red curry sauce (New)
- Teriyaki Turkey Leg
- Baked Coconut Almond Nian Gao: Baked sticky rice cake topped with coconut and almonds
- Blackberry Cotton Candy
- Mandarin Orange Cotton Candy
- ACE High! Hard Cider Imperial Apple Cider
- Master Gao Brewery Puffed Rice Chinese Pale Ale
Lucky Fortune Cookery
- Mango Sticky Rice – Taro and Coconut Sticky Rice with Mango Gel, Toasted Coconut and Fresh Mango – $6.49
- Lotus Flower Glow Cube – Light-up your beverage – $6.25
- Surf & Turf Fried Rice – Five Spice-rubbed New York Steak, Sautéed Shrimp, Fried Rice, Ginger Pea Purée and Chile Oil, topped with a Carrot Salad – $29.00
- Sesame Seed Donuts – Donuts topped with Sesame Seed Brittle and served with a Kaya Jam Dipping Sauce – $10.00
- Lamplight Lounge Lunar New Year Cocktail – Han Soju, Aperitivo Aperol, Carrot and Orange Juices and Cream of Coconut – $17.00
- Three Weavers Brewing Co., Seafarer Kölsch-Style Ale, Inglewood, CA – (ABV 4.8%) – $12.00
Complete Festival Marketplace Menus
- Mickey Mouse-shaped Hot Dog Bun – Brioche-style Mickey-shaped Bun stuffed with Hot Dogs and finished with Sesame Seeds and Scallions – $7.50
- Mickey Mouse-shaped Purple Sweet Potato Macaron – Red Macaron filled with Purple Sweet Potato Buttercream, with Crème Fraîche Center – $7.00
Prosperity Bao & Buns
- Char Siu BBQ Pork Bao – Pickled Red Onions and Jalapeño – $9.00
- Pepperoni Pizza Bao Bun – served with Marinara – $9.00
- Peach Yuja-Ade – Yuja-Lemongrass Purée, Dragon Fruit & Peach Syrups, Lemon Juice and Butterfly Pea Flower Tea, garnished with a Lemon Wheel – $6.50
- Lychee Celebration – Gin, Prosecco, Lychee Syrup, Yuja-Lemongrass Purée and Grapefruit Juice, garnished with an edible Purple Orchid – $15.00
- Soju Peach Yuja-Ade – Soju, Yuja-Lemongrass Purée, Dragon Fruit & Peach Syrups, Lemon Juice and Butterfly Pea Flower Tea, garnished with a Lemon Wheel – $16.00
Red Dragon Spice Traders
- Gochujang Elote – Steamed Corn on the Cob rolled in Gochujang Aїoli and Cotija Cheese, drizzled with spicy Gochujang Sauce – $7.50
- Red Spice Fried Chicken Bites – Fried Chicken Chicharrones in spicy Red Chile Sauce – $8.75
- Dancing Firecracker – Pineapple & Lime Juices, Guava Nectar, spicy Honey and House-made Hibiscus Syrup, garnished with a Lime Wheel – $6.50
- Guava Whiskey Cocktail – Whiskey, Ginger Liqueur, Guava Nectar, Coconut Cream and Lime Juice, garnished with a Lime Wheel – $15.00
Wrapped with Love
- Pork and Shrimp Wontons – with a Black Garlic Sauce – $8.75
- Pineapple Baijiu Cocktail – Dark Rum, Baijiu, Allspice Dram, Pineapple & Orange Juices and Falernum Syrup, garnished with a Dried Red Pineapple Chip – $16.00
- Grapefruit-Melon Wine Cocktail – Sauvignon Blanc, Grapefruit Liqueur, Watermelon Purée, Rock Melon Syrup and Lime Juice, garnished with skewered Grapes – $15.00
Lucky 8 Lantern
- Quesabirria Egg Roll with Guajillo Pepper Consomé – filled with Oaxaca Cheese, Beef Birria and a Side of Guajillo Pepper Consomé – $9.00
- Mandarin Mousse Cake – Layers of Mandarin Mousse with Vanilla Cake and Clementine Compote, finished with White Chocolate Crunch Balls and a Tangerine Glaze – $6.25
- Coconut-Lavender Matcha Foam Iced Coffee – Joffrey’s Coffee & Tea Co.® French Bistro Blend, Coconut Milk, Coconut Cream and White Chocolate Sauce, garnished with Lavender Matcha, Coconut Foam, Sea Salt and Purple Sanding Sugar – $6.50
Longevity Noodle Co.
- Garlic Noodles – Long Noodles tossed in a zesty Garlic Butter with Parmesan – $7.50
- Spicy Pork DanDan Noodles – Pan-fried Noodles with Ground Pork and a spicy Tri-Chile Sauce – $8.50
- Raspberry Oat Milk Tea – Joffrey’s Coffee & Tea Co.® Ceylon Tea, Raspberry & Demerara Syrups and Oat Milk, garnished with skewered Raspberries – $6.50
See it for Yourself
Lunar New Year celebrations at Disney California Adventure take place from January 20 – February 15, 2023.
See all of our postings for Lunar New Year:
MORE INFO: Details and information about Lunar New Year