Pixar and Walt Disney Animation Studios confirmed another massive return to the D23 Expo 2022 this year promising first looks, sneak peeks, and presentations surrounding upcoming feature films and streaming titles—plus interactive displays, artist autograph signings, sharable photo opportunities, filmmaker Q&As, and giveaways.
Here’s a look at everything announced.
Looking Ahead with the Walt Disney Studios
WHEN: Friday, September 9, 3:30 p.m.,
WHERE: Hall D23
Disney Animation and Pixar are teaming up with Disney Live Action on Friday afternoon, welcoming thousands of Disney fans to Hall D23 for a special look at upcoming films and series.
- Pixar Animation Studios’ Chief Creative Officer Pete Docter and Walt Disney Animation Studios’ Chief Creative Officer Jennifer Lee will present never-before-seen footage, surprise announcements, musical performances, and appearances by all-star voice talent from the studios’ upcoming slate of original animated films and series. Fans will get an insider’s view at Pixar’s unique, perspective-shifting, long-form series Win or Lose, which launches on Disney+ next year. Pixar’s Peter Sohn, who helms the 2023 feature Elemental, will transport fans to a city where fire-, water-, land-, and air-residents live side by side.
- Disney Animation’s Academy Award®-winning director Don Hall will journey alongside fans deep into an uncharted and treacherous land with Strange World—releasing November 23—and Disney Animation and their collaborators from the Pan-African comic book company Kugali will reveal new details about Iwájú, a long-form sci-fi series set in Lagos, Nigeria, that launches on Disney+ next year.
- Cell phones, cameras, and all recording devices will be checked for this presentation.
“traceback”: Celebrating the People of Walt Disney Animation Studios
WHEN: Friday, September 9, 11:45 a.m.– 12:45 p.m.
WHERE: Hyperion Stage.
The Walt Disney Animation Research Library presents “traceback,” a look at the lives and work as well as the artistic and technical contributions of women and employees of color throughout the history of Walt Disney Animation Studios.
A Century of Storytelling at Walt Disney Animation Studios
WHEN: Saturday, September 10, 2–3 p.m.
WHERE: Walt Disney Archives Stage
The Walt Disney Animation Research Library celebrates 100 years of Disney Animation storytelling by highlighting the stories and people behind key art and artifacts in its collection.
A Celebration of Disney Animation’s “Encanto”
WHEN: Saturday, September 10, 3:30–4:30 p.m.
WHERE: Premiere Stage.
Join the team behind Walt Disney Animation Studios’ Academy Award®-winning hit Encanto for stories behind the making of the film—and a few surprises!
Sneak Peek at “Zootopia+” from Walt Disney Animation Studios
WHEN: Saturday, September 10, 6–7 p.m.
WHERE: Backlot Stage.
Get a first look at the highly anticipated animated series Zootopia+, coming to Disney+ from Walt Disney Animation Studios, with directors Josie Trinidad and Trent Correy.
100 Years of Treasures from the Walt Disney Animation Research Library
WHEN: Sunday, September 11, 2–3 p.m.
WHERE: Backlot Stage.
Never-before-seen clips, recording sessions, and live-action reference mark 100 years of Walt Disney Animation Studios as the Animation Research Library unveils newly digitized media from its collection and from its Oral History Project, in which the legends of animation have been interviewed.
On the Show Floor
Walt Disney Animation Studios will showcase its past, present, and future along with Pixar Animation Studios on the show floor with an immersive animation experience for fans. On display:
- Featured in the pavilion will be Disney Animation’s STRANGE WORLD, releasing this November Pixar’s June 2023 release, ELEMENTAL
- A six-foot-tall red panda will greet fans, celebrating Pixar’s TURNING RED, now streaming on Disney+, and a photo op with Buzz Lightyear and his robot companion cat Sox from the now-in-theaters film LIGHTYEAR
- Disney Animation will bring photo experiences celebrating STRANGE WORLD, ENCANTO, and more
- Fans will also get opportunities to meet the teams behind the series and movies, with autograph signings of exclusive art and promotional item giveaways
See it for Yourself
D23 Expo 2022 takes place in Anaheim, CA from September 9 – 11, 2022.
MORE INFO: For more information on tickets, ticket prices, and D23 Expo, visit D23Expo.com
But Wait, There’s More!
For more information including MouseInfo’s on-going coverage of the 2022 D23 Expo, click our banner below!