The Disney Wish will be the fifth ship in the Disney Cruise Line fleet and it aims to make a big splash when it debuts Summer 2022. Today, Disney shared some detailed sneak peeks of the ship and its atrium lobby known as the Grand Hall.
With the motif of enchantment at its core, the architectural and thematic foundation of the ship’s design is rooted in weaving of imagination, emotion and adventure into the vessel’s unique personality. Inspired by nearly a century of Disney fairytales, Walt Disney Imagineers have captured the essence of enchantment through three design lenses, using:
- Fairytale Castles, emulating the classic storybook charm at the core of many enchanted tales
- Forests and Animals, bringing to life fascinating natural worlds and the animals that inhabit them
- Spirit of the Sea, embodying the magic and mystery of the watery world below
An Enchanted Grand Hall
The Grand Hall is a trademark feature of all Disney Cruise Line ships and the Disney Wish will feature a bright, airy and elegant space that establishes the enchantment from embarkation.
- The fairytale castle-inspired atrium is touched with Gothic, Baroque and French Rococo influences to give life to the columns, carvings, trimmings and adornments.
- A statue of Cinderella will be found at the base of a grand staircase,
- Other details include railings that glisten with elegant stained glass in her signature colors, rich carpeting embellished with icons from the film, and sophisticated nods to her carriage and glass slipper in the delicate metalwork and light fixtures.
- Glittering trails of pixie dust climb majestic three-story columns, spill across the ceiling and animate the shimmering chandelier above with an effusive burst of magic.
- The chandelier is a manifestation of wishes come true – a swirling spiral of crystal gems punctuated with light, its crown jewel a wondrous wishing star evoking the moment the Fairy Godmothered transformed Cinderella’s clothes into a majestic ballgown
A Design with Character
- The Disney Wish will continue the Disney Cruise Line tradition of incorporating an elegant, classical exterior design — a tribute to the golden age of cruising — in the emblematic colors of Mickey Mouse.
- Elegant filigree artwork on the bow will feature ornate scrollwork design of classic ocean liners from the 1930s with Captain Minnie Mouse featured within the artwork.
- On the stern, a custom sculpture of the optimistic and adventurous Rapunzel. Suspended by her golden hair, this artistic Disney Princess will appear to be “decorating” the exterior of the ship with her trusty paintbrush and the help of her chameleon pal, Pascal.
- A whimsical curvature to the deck edge along both sides of the Disney Wish will create a sense of magic and visual movement both inside and out.
The Disney Wish is the FIRST of three new Disney Cruise Line ships to be built at the Meyer Werft shipyard in Germany through 2025. All three ships will be powered by liquefied natural gas and, at approximately 144,000 gross tons, will be slightly larger than the Disney Dream and Disney Fantasy.
See it for Yourself
The Disney Wish is expected to set sail in Summer 2022.