We visited the Disneyland Resort this weekend for the launch of Halloween Time (which takes place now through October 31, 2018) for a taste of the unprecedented number of sweets, treats, eats, and sips available through the seasonal celebration.
On our visit we sampled more than a few great options and are excited to report back on the good, the bad, and the ugly of what we were able to sink our teeth into! ENJOY!
What We Tasted
Halloween Hot Dog
Halloween Hot Dog ($8.99) at Refreshment Corner has “spicy” meatballs, cheese sauce, and oven-roasted tomatoes. It is REALLY good. The cheese sauce is more than just boring nacho cheese sauce, it has a nice cheesy flavor that couples super well with the roasted tomatoes, almost creating a bit of an Alfredo-Marina combo. The meatballs are tender and delicious. It all sounds super random and it completely is but it all goes together super well. We opted for apples instead of chips which were a welcome bit of refreshment after the super hearty dog.
Frozen Abuelita Horchata
Frozen Abuelita Horchata ($5.99) at Rancho Del Zocalo features frozen Abuelita Mexican hot chocolate layered with frozen horchata and topped with choco whipped cream. This sucker is a wollop of wonderful flavor and is proving to be quite popular as Cast Members at the location indicated it had been selling out all day since they were unable to keep up with demand. In fact, when we ordered ours they were essentially out of the orange choco whipped cream that goes on top which in press photos is a forthy dollop on top of the drink. As you can see we got the dregs of the whipped cream which sat a little lifeless in our cup BUT still tasted the same and it was honestly all together quite a fantastic drink.
It is SUPER sweet so be prepared to need a glass of water afterwards!
Spicy Pepper Jack Dog
Meat-free Spicy Pepper Jack Dog ($9.49) at Corn Dog Castle is a corn-battered Pepper Jack cheese stick with blackberry sauce, pineapple salsa, pickled seranos, and hot Cheeto dust. It’s not much to look at but this packs some really unique and interesting flavors. The cheese inside is melty and chewy and quite good. The remaining ingredients piled on top were arguably superflous but the whole dish is surprisingly decent and worth a shot if you’re looking for something different.
Fire Dragon Tacos
Fire Dragon Tacos ($10.99) at the Studio Catering Truck are a trio of tacos with deep fried pork belly, kimchi slaw, and Korean BBQ sauce with Sriracha. We’re always excited for pork belly menu options and this one was good but the deep fried meat was a little overcooked on our tacos. The flavors here are great though and these do not disappoint.
Musubi Special ($6.99) at Bengal Barbecue is spiced ham musubi with lemongrass jasmine rice and pineapple teriyaki sauce and served with pickled daikon and carrots topped with furikake flakes.
We were so excited for this and so phenomenally disappointed with just about every single component of the dish. The Spam was undercooked (I love my Spam super crispy) and seemed to still have that from-the-can taste to it. The rice underneath it was also slightly undercooked with a slight crunch to it. Meanwhile, the nori wrapping was entirely too small which might have been a blessing in disguise since it was completely soggy having been soaked up by the moisture of the rice and meat below it. The worst offense was that the musubi was served still wrapped in plastic wrap and seemingly came straight from the refrigerator making it super cold to the bite.
The pickled veggies were quite nice though and would probably taste great with a properly-presented musubi.
Sweet Potato Hand Pie
Sweet Potato Hand Pie ($4.99) is a big flaky poptart with toasted marshmallows and a sweet potato filling. Not overly sweet, really good with coffee! Will not disappoint!
Orange Sugar Skull Pot de Crème
Orange Sugar Skull Pot de Crème at Rancho del Zocalo was fine. It’s layered with chocolate cake underneath and the creme on top. We did not really taste any orange flavor here unless the “orange” in the name is simply referring to the color of the chocolate decoration on top. Other than appearances there’s nothing distinctly special here but also nothing bad about it either!
Coco Cake ($5.99) from Paradise Garden Grill actually features no chocolate as it refers to the Disney-Pixar feature. It includes layers of sponge cake with cinammon “churro” mousse and sweet cream cheese frosting. It was not bad but we weren’t dying to have it again.
What We Almost Tasted
There’s only so much room in our tummies for all of the treats but there were a few this year that caught our attention for future visits.
Anti Vampire Pizza at Boardwalk Pizza and Pasta features roasted garlic sauce, marinated chicken smoked gouda, mozzarella, roasted red peppers, and a tomato-harissa sauce drizzle.
Chocolate Hazelnut Yule Log at Plaza Inn is always a satisfying treat although the portion this year seems smaller than years prior.
Main Street Mickey’s Pound Cake at Plaza Inn pound cake filled with blueberry compote and cookie crumbles surrounded by whipped cream and garnished with black sugar and mint
Halloween Minnie Mouse Cake at Plaza Inn features cinnamon-praline Bundt cake with an apple center and finished with an orange glaze and sprinkles
The novelty merch items are always popular sellers and this year we see the return of a lot of the favorites from last year plus a new popcorn bucket design and a green poison apple stein.
Below is a complete listing of all the Disneyland Resort 2018 Halloween Time treats, snacks, food, and drink.
Around the resort you’ll find a number of bewitching treats both hand-made and prepackaged.
- Minnie Witch Apple
- Jack Skellington Apple
- Skull Apple
- Evil Queen Apple
- Jack Skellington Cake Pop
- Bat Cake Pop
- Mickey Mouse Mummy Crispy Treat
- Oogie Boogie Crispy Treat
- Maleficent Crispy Treat
- Mummy Marshmallow
- Pumpkin Fudge
And then there’s special unique treats at both parks…
- Churros near Big Thunder Mountain – Orange Sugar Churro with Candy Corn Sauce
- Churros near Haunted Mansion – Pumpkin Spice Churro with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Hungry Bear Restaurant – Churro Bites Cereal Sundae with fruit cereal-dusted churros, cereal milk anglaise, strawberry ice cream, and raspberry sauce
- Golden Horseshoe – Churro Sundae with cookie butter gelato garnished with a cinnamon sugar-dusted churro and topped with cajeta and whipped cream
- Churros near Sleeping Beauty Castle and Town Square – Maleficent Churro covered with chocolate cookie crumbles blended with colored sugar (you can even add Marshmallow Dip!)
- Churros near Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters – Sour Apple Churro (with the option to add Caramel Sauce to this one!)
Food and Drink
Red Rose Taverne
- Black Rose Dessert – black truffle mousse with raspberry compote and crunch center with a candy spider
- Cookie Decorating Kits
Rancho del Zocalo
- Orange Sugar Skull Pot de Crème
- Frozen Abuelita Horchata – frozen Mexican hot chocolate layered with frozen horchata and topped with whipped cream
- Crab & Corn Chowder
- Halloween-Themed Dessert Trio – with worms & dirt, salted caramel pudding, and pumpkin pie
- Mansion Spider Bundt Cake – chocolate Bundt cake with green icing and a chocolate spider
Mint Julep Bar
- Pumpkin Spice Mickey Beignets
- Musubi Special – spiced ham musubi with lemongrass jasmine rice and pineapple teriyaki sauce and served with pickled daikon and carrots topped with furikake flakes
- Haunted Firehouse Chicken Sandwich – red pepper coulis, white cheese sauce, crispy pancetta, and arugula on yellow sliced bread
- Apple Pie á La Mode – vanilla ice cream with warm spiced apples, crumble topping, and caramel drizzle
Jolly Holiday Bakery Café
- Sweet Potato Hand Pie – sweet potato pie filling topped with orange white chocolate glaze and toasted mini-marshmallows
- Cruella de Vil Brownie – brownie in a spotted cup with black dark chocolate mousse, white chocolate mousse, and a Cruella de Vil logo
- Graveyard Cupcake – chocolate cupcake with cherry filling, dark chocolate mousse, Halloween sprinkles, and a chocolate tombstone
- Spice Bundt Cake
- Pumpkin Layered Cheesecake
- Pumpkin Muffin
- Mickey Mummy Macaroon
- Halloween Hot Dog – with spicy meatballs, cheese sauce, and oven-roasted tomatoes
Plaza Inn Restaurant
- Main Street Mickey’s Pound Cake – pound cake filled with blueberry compote and cookie crumbles surrounded by whipped cream and garnished with black sugar and mint
- Halloween Minnie Mouse Cake – cinnamon-praline Bundt cake with an apple center and finished with an orange glaze and sprinkles
- Spider Parfait – chocolate cake, vanilla and chocolate pudding, and a thick layer of ganache
Alien Pizza Planet
- Cosmic Chili Pasta – pinwheel pasta, chili, cheese, and green onion
- Alien Spider Parfait – chocolate cake, vanilla and chocolate pudding, and a thick layer of ganache
Disney California Adventure Park
- Willie’s Churros – Purple, Green, and Orange Sugar Churro; Pumpkin Spice Churro
- Churros near Redwood Creek Challenge Trail – S’mores Churro with graham cracker, chocolate chips, and a marshmallow drizzle
- Churros near Goofy’s Sky School – Purple Sugar Churro
- Cozy Cone Motel – Pumpkin Spice Churro with Cream Cheese Dipping Sauce
Food and Drink
Fiddler, Fifer & Practical Café
- Sleepy Hollow Cupcake – red velvet cupcake with Headless Horseman chocolate piece
Clarabelle’s Hand Scooped Ice Cream
- Purple, Orange, Green, and Black Sprinkles to Dip
- Spider Silk Macaron Sandwich – black macaron with charcoal-tart cherry spun ice cream topped with popping candy and raspberry sauce
- Bat Wing Raspberry Sundae – white chocolate raspberry swirl ice cream with raspberry splatter, red sprinkles, whipped cream, and bat wing cookie
Mortimer’s Market and Boudin Bread Cart
- Mickey Bread with Fangs
- Green Apple Spell Lemonade – lemonade with sour green apple syrup, cherry popping pearls, and raspberry sauce
Pacific Wharf Café
- Pumpkin Bread Pudding
- Mickey Bread with Fangs
- Bacon Cheddar Ale Soup
Pacific Wharf Beer Truck
- Karl Strauss Oktoberfest Beer
Boardwalk Pizza & Pasta
- Anti Vampire Pizza – roasted garlic sauce, marinated chicken smoked gouda, mozzarella, roasted red peppers, and a tomato-harissa sauce drizzle
- Pumpkin Hard Cider
- Karl Strauss Oktoberfest Beer
Corn Dog Castle
- Spicy Pepper Jack Dog – dipped in corn batter, drizzled with blackberry sauce, and topped with sweet pineapple salsa, pickled serranos, and crushed cheese puffs
- Pumpkin Spice Funnel Cakes Fries (starting mid-September) – funnel fries dusted with pumpkin spice sugar, pumpkin spice sauce, and pumpkin spice whipped cream
- Cookies and Cream Funnel Cake Fries – funnel fries dusted with crushed chocolate cream cookies and topped with cream cheese, chocolate cream cookie pieces, and whipped cream
- Karl Strauss Oktoberfest Beer
- Oktoberfest Dog – kielbasa sausage topped with caramelized onions, sauerkraut, Oktoberfest beer cheese, and green onions
- Croissant Donut – filled with peanut butter and jelly
- Caramel Apple Smoothie – apple, caramel, and ice cream
- Whoopie Pie – filled with espresso chip ice cream
- Bone Chilling Apple Cider (non-alcoholic)
- Spitfire Cider – apple cider with cinnamon whiskey
- Stone Vengeful Spirit IPA
- Elsyian the Great Pumpkin Imperial Ale
- Ballast Point Dead Ringer Oktoberfest Lager
- Mystical Michelada
- Sour Apple Slush with Vodka
- Green Apple Slush (non-alcoholic)
- Supernatural Spirit – cotton candy lemonade with vodka
- Ghoulish Delight (non-alcoholic) – cotton candy lemonade
Studio Catering Truck
- Fire Dragon Tacos – pork belly tacos with kimchi slaw, Korean BBQ sauce, and Sriracha crema
Flo’s V8 Café
- Candy Cone Pie – cream pie with vanilla, butterscotch, and white chocolate pudding
- Pumpkin Spice Shake
Cozy Cone Motel
- Slow-Burnin’ Mac and Cheese Cone – fresh-cooked pasta with spicy red pepper cheese sauce topped with crushed chile-cheese puffs and served in a bread cone
- “Spokey”-Cone Macaron – filled with marshmallow buttercream and candy corn
- Hard Pumpkin Cider
- Sam Adam’s Oktoberfest
Disney provides a Foodie Guide to keep with you in the park to help you keep track of what you want to taste!
See it for Yourself
HALLOWEEN TIME at the Disneyland Resort takes place from September 7 through October 31, 2018.
MORE INFO: Find more news and info about Disney Halloween Time.