Universal Orlando Resort has officially welcomed its new Minion Land on Illumination Avenue land at Universal Studios Florida. With photos provided courtesy of Universal, we’re ready to take a peek inside the land including the featured new attraction, Illumination’s Villain-Con Minion Blast.
What to Expect
The previous Despicable Me Minion Mayhem attraction remains and is joined by a new attraction, Illumination’s Villain-Con Minion Blast. Other highlights include new dining and shopping options that help bring to life a whole new level of Minion mischief and diabolical fun.
Illumination’s Villain-Con Minion Blast
Located at the entrance to Minion Land, Illumination’s Villain-Con Minion Blast blends immersive sets, interactive game-based technology, custom animation and an original storyline to create a one-of-a-kind blaster attraction where guests can put their villainous skills to the ultimate test.
- Upon entering the attraction, guests are immediately be transported to Villain-Con – the largest convention for villains around the globe – where the headlining event is a challenge to see who has what it takes to become the newest member of the notorious supervillain group, the Vicious 6, featured in the hit film, “Minions: Rise of Gru.”
- As guests make their way through the convention, they venture through the trade show floor, stocked with the latest gadgets, vehicles, and fashion to pull off the most heinous schemes, before picking up an “E-Liminator X” blaster to compete against their friends, loved ones and fellow guests to prove how bad they really are.
Throughout the competition, guests use their blaster – equipped with Freeze Rays, Banana Bombs, Explosive Nunchucks and more – to cause as much mayhem and destruction as possible to earn points. As they wind and glide through the experience aboard a moving pathway, they’ll encounter each member of the Vicious 6, voiced by the original cast from the film, in a setting inspired by their character, including:
- Belle Bottom (voiced by Taraji P. Henson), the cool, confident leader of the Vicious 6, in a groovy disco
- Stronghold (voiced by Danny Trejo) – named after his giant iron hands – in a museum filled with tons of fragile and priceless art just waiting to be destroyed
- Nun-Chuck (voiced by Lucy Lawless), a fierce warrior with prized nun-chucks who will travel aboard her flying organ as she challenges guests to create musical mayhem
- Jean Clawed (voiced by Jean-Claude Van Damme) – outfitted with a giant mechanical lobster claw – in an evil, underwater lair filled with hidden loot and robotic sea creatures
- and Svengeance (voiced by Dolph Lundgren), the roller-skating champion with spiked skates, in a floating roller derby filled with blimps, jumbo-trons, and speed-skating robots
Villain-Con Minion Blast is also the first Universal Orlando attraction to feature a connected gameplay experience via The Official Universal Orlando Resort App.
- By syncing their blaster to the app with just a tap, contenders can take their game to an entirely new level and track their scores, embark on special missions within the attraction, unlock evil perks and extra powerful blasts to help them gain more points and earn digital collectibles.
- The more guests play and the higher they score, the more perks and bragging rights they’ll earn. Plus, this digital experience connects to the visitor’s Universal Guest Account within the Universal Orlando app – unlocking a deeper connection that enhances their in-park experience and sets the stage for even more digital-to-physical world benefits.
Illumination’s Minion Cafe
At the new Illumination’s Minion Cafe, guests can expect an immersive new eatery that offers something for everyone in a highly entertaining dining experience that features three themed areas designed after beloved Minions Kevin, Stuart, Bob and Otto: the Kitchen, the Breakroom and the Dining Room.
Guests can also enjoy their meal at the outdoor patio that overlooks the fun of Minion Land. Guests of all ages can enjoy inventive fare featuring nearly 20 items inspired by memorable characters and staples from the Minions franchise. Minion Cafe also features an express window with a limited menu for those looking to satisfy their mischievous cravings quickly and return to the mayhem in Minion Land.
This walkup location features sweet and savory popcorn, including a special banana flavor, inspired by the Minions’ love for bananas. Here, guests may also find an assortment of fun popcorn buckets, including the Disco Minion.
Freeze Ray Pops
Guests can cool off with a visit to Freeze Ray Pops, a walk-up window serving refreshingly colorful frozen treats inspired by Gru, the Minions and Vector.
Bake My Day
Topped with a massive pink cupcake that’s visible from anywhere in Minion Land, Bake My Day is a whimsical retail location and bakery featuring a selection of Minion-themed sweet treats, including cupcakes, macarons, s’mores and more, along with exclusive Minion-inspired merchandise like apparel, plush, drinkware, accessories, keychains and more.
At this unique retail store, guests can pick up all the items necessary to complete their villainous transformation. This new retail store offers a variety of Villain-Con and Minions merchandise, making it a one-stop destination for those seeking to embrace their “evil” side.
More to Explore
The theater façade plays host to an outdoor space to meet, greet, and interact with beloved characters including:
- The Minions, Gru, Margo, Edith, and Agnes from the “Despicable Me” franchise
- Rosita, Gunter, and Johnny from the hit film “Sing.”
See it for Yourself
Minion Land on Illumination Avenue at Universal Studios Florida is now open!