Disneyland’s Splash Mountain is officially closing May 31, 2023 and along with the announcement, Disney has confirmed several details about the new Tiana’s Bayou Adventure that will replace it.
A new Mama Odie figure was the highlight of today’s news. She will joke with guests following a special display of her magic. The 200-year-old Bayou Fairy Godmother, with her eccentric belongings and “seeing eye snake” Juju, is comically eccentric, yet wise and all knowing, throughout the adventure.
Here’s a few additional details courtesy of Disney:
To help inspire the Imagineers’ creations, New Orleans artist and YAYA Arts Center alumna Sharika Mahdi has created the next installment in a four-part commissioned series: a tribute to our wise and whimsical keeper of the bayou. Along with The Princess and the Frog film, the Imagineering team continues to use Mahdi’s latest piece as inspiration for how Mama Odie will appear throughout the attraction. Guests may see evidence of this in the resemblance of the image below depicting Mama Odie.
Mama Odie isn’t the only familiar face joining the jamboree on Tiana’s Bayou Adventure. Disney Parks has revealed even more new details about the highly-anticipated attraction, such as:
- A brand-new cast of original Disney characters with distinct names and personalities
- Dozens of entirely new Audio-Animatronics® figures
- Adorable critters with incredible talent, bringing the diverse flavors of musical gumbo found in New Orleans
- New, original music alongside favorite tunes from the film
- The alluring scent of beignets being prepared for the party in the attraction queue
- Familiar faces from the film such as Princess Tiana, Prince Naveen, Mama Odie, Louis, Eudora, Charlotte, “Big Daddy,” the King and Queen of Maldonia, and Prince Ralphie
- Talent voices from the film reprising their roles, including Jenifer Lewis as Mama Odie, Bruno Campos as Prince Naveen, Michael Leon Wooley as Louis, and the one and only Disney Legend Anika Noni Rose as Princess Tiana
Tiana’s Bayou Adventure builds on the story of Princess Tiana, a character whose pride and perseverance reminds us of a universal truth: within us lies the potential to make our dreams come true. This all-new adventure will bring Disney Parks guests into Princess Tiana’s world like never before when the attraction opens in Disneyland park at Disneyland Resort and Magic Kingdom park at Walt Disney World Resort in 2024.
See it for Yourself
Tiana’s Bayou Adventure retheme of Splash Mountain is expected to open at Disneyland and Magic Kingdom late 2024. An official opening date for either attraction has not yet been announced.