Although anyone with Disney+ account has been able to see TURNING RED for a while, it’s now available to come home with non-revocable access on 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray, and DVD! The film is an endearing exploration of a wide expanse of experiences from cultural to familial (and also a fun romp through the early 2000s) and now there’s a selection of fun extras to enjoy a closer look!
MouseInfo received an advance review copy to take a closer look at the bonus features that the house of lamp has cooked up that you will not be able to access on your Disney+ account! As always, keep in mind that offerings vary by product and retailer so always check the details before you purchase.
As is typically the case, in lieu of a formal making-of documentary, the special features for TURNING RED are an assortment of featurettes covering a wide range of topics. While the overall run-time of extras leaves a bit to be desired there’s still a noteworthy selection of behind-the-scenes magic.
Life of a Shot is a great timeline piece that features the crew of the film going over all of their specific contributions that lead to the final result on the screen. This runs the gamut from concept and story through animation and final polish with a little bit of research trip for good measure. There’s also Build Your Own Boy Band which was perhaps longer than expected but still fun going into the surprisingly extensive measures undertaken to ensure the perfectly dreamy band of musical brothers. Lastly, Ani-Mei-Tion goes into the unique and characteristically specific style of this world thanks in large part to the very specific vision of director Domee Shi.
Unfortunately, these three featurettes make up the bulk of the extras to enjoy here but we’re not bereft of more content. Audio Commentary is a welcomed addition and not surprising considering the care in which director Domee Shi clearly had with regards to this featured. She’s joined by producer Lindsey Collins and director of photography Mahyar Abousaeedi.
Deleted Scenes are always a fun exploration of the coulda-beens. We get the treat of having an introduction with director Domee Shi giving insight into the below clips which you can see as officially described by Disney:
- Intro Meilin – In this alternate opening, Ming and young Mei have their portrait taken in a studio…but Ming has her own specific vision for the photo.
- Taming The Panda – Under her mother’s guidance, Mei learns techniques to control her ability to magically turn into a red panda…to varying degrees of success.
- The Debate – Mei runs for class president against frenemy Tyler, and the speeches get a little out of hand.
- Fei And Christina Hang – Mei (formerly Fei) shares a banana split while having a heart-to-heart with Aunt Christina.
- 4*TOWN Dilemma – Mei scores tickets to her dream concert, but her strict mother won’t let her out of the house. What will she do?
- Roping In Leo – Pleading with Leo for help with getting out of trouble, Mei learns a couple of his closely guarded secrets.
See it for Yourself
TURNING RED is now available on all major digital platforms and on 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray, and DVD.