Following the conclusion of their TASTE OF UNIVERSAL event, Universal Studios Hollywood will move full-steam ahead with plans to reopen their theme park beginning on Friday, April 16, 2021. A special park preview will be held for Annual and Season Pass Members on Thursday, April 15, 2021.
What’s more, it’s been confirmed that both “The Secret Life of Pets: Off the Leash!” and the new Indominus rex in “Jurassic World—The Ride” will be available from the start!
What to Expect
The Secret Life of Pets: Off the Leash!
Stroll along the cleverly themed Pets Place will bring guests to the front of Katie’s NYC apartment building where the innovative “The Secret Life of Pets: Off the Leash!” ride resides. This all-new tech-savvy adventure inspired by Illumination’s blockbuster The Secret Life of Pets films, answers the question, “What are your pets really doing when you’re not at home?”
This impressive new ride combines 64 technologically-advanced animated figures with hyper-realistic media and projection mapping designed to take guests on a journey to meet some of their favorite Illumination characters from the movies, including Max, Snowball, Gidget, Chloe and Duke, along with a host of other animal friends, who have all been transformed and transported into the live-action world.
From blinking eyes to eyebrow movements, from head tilts to head nods, from moving mouths to smiles, from ear curls to lip curls, from full torso twists to physically walking, the depth of mobility and function programmed within each of these loveable characters creates an experience unlike any other theme park ride.
You can see more about the ride in our earlier posting before the pandemic shutdowns.
Breaking new ground with highly complex innovations, this fully-articulated lifelike Indominus injects intense new thrills, excitement and intrigue to the already dynamic ride. Spanning nearly 55 feet horizontally from head to tail and over 22 feet vertically, the Indominus’ imposing presence will be amplified by the fluidity of her motions and synchronized movements that deliver an unprecedented level of authenticity.
From the subtle blinking of her eyes, the flexing of her arms and claws and clenching of her jaw as she bears her razor-sharp teeth, the colossal Indominus rex will lunge from her hillside setting, stalking guests just before they descend the giant waterfall drop to escape her grasp.
What To Know
Most But Not All
While MOST rides will be operational, some rides and attractions will reopen at a later date as the theme park complies with government restrictions. Below are some of the attractions confirmed to be reopening.
- “Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey™”
- “Flight of the Hippogriff™”
- “Transformers™: The Ride-3D”
- “Revenge of the Mummy: The Ride”
- Despicable Me’s “Super Silly Fun Land”
- “Springfield, U.S.A.”
- Studio Tour (including “Fast & Furious—Supercharged” and “King Kong 360 3D”)
California Residents Only!
In accordance with government guidelines, only California residents may visit the theme park at this time.
Due to capacity limits, until further notice, guests with unredeemed tickets purchased prior to April 8, 2021 will need to make an advance reservation at www.UniversalStudiosHollywood.com for their visit dates.
Tickets to Universal Studios Hollywood will be available to California residents only and can be purchased online beginning on Thursday, April 8. The theme park will also celebrate Annual and Season Pass Members—who will be among the first to visit—with a series of complimentary Bonus Days on select days from Thursday, April 15 through Sunday, May 16; these Bonus Days can be reserved by Annual and Season Pass Members online starting on Monday, April 5. Annual and Season Pass Members will be able to resume regular use of their passes starting on Monday, May 17.
Health and Safety
Universal Studios Hollywood continues to work in partnership with health and government officials to implement new health and safety procedures that include controlled capacity to enforce physical distancing and required face coverings.
- Temperature checks for all Guests upon arrival. If temperatures exceed 100.4° Fahrenheit / 38° Celsius or greater, Guests will not be permitted to enter.
- Face coverings required for all Guests throughout their visit. Face coverings also will be available for purchase.
- Controlled capacity within the theme park, and limited occupancy at all CityWalk venues to help enforce physical distancing. Some areas and programs may remain temporarily closed.
- Rigorous cleaning and disinfecting at all food locations, restrooms, and all other high touch points.
- Physical distancing practices at all locations throughout the park and at rides and attractions.
- Eating and drinking permitted only in designated dining areas.
- Contactless payment options wherever possible.
See it for Yourself!
Universal Studios Hollywood is set to officially reopen to the public on April 16, 2021 with a special Annual and Season Pass Member preview the day before.