KNOTT’S TASTE OF BOYSENBERRY FESTIVAL is here and it brings with it Buena Park’s trademark berry on full display with special food, shopping, and entertainment.
Knott’s Berry Farm invited us to come check out the first weekend of the event and to taste some of the menu offerings that are part of the event. In full disclosure, our admission to the event as well the food redemptions were paid for by Knott’s Berry Farm in exchange for our honest review of the event.
We invite you now to take a look at KNOTT’S TASTE OF BOYSENBERRY FESTIVAL! ENJOY!
As with just about most things during these times, you want to try to avoid peak times if you want to stay away from crowds. By not arriving for opening, you avoid lines of people waiting for the event to start.
Purchase of a Tasting Card is required to access the park. This must be purchased online and you pick it up at the turnstile after scanning your E-ticket/printout. Keep in mind, Tasting Cards are date-specific to help control event crowding and ensure social distancing.
- $45 for adults for 5 tastes
- $20 for ages 3-11 for 3 tastes
If you’re a Season Passholder you can save 10% on the purchase of Tasting Cards.
There’s a special Easter Hunt activity you can also participate in scanning QR codes around the park to help the Easter Bunny find their missing eggs.
Know Before You Go
- When you average out 5 tastings over the $45 adult price you, find that you’re paying $9 for each tasting item.
- The Tasting Cards don’t have tear-away tabs. Instead, they feature a QR code that is scanned at each vending location.
- Keep track of how many redemptions you’ve made on your card! Since you don’t have tabs to keep track for you, it can get tricky remembering how many are left. This especially gets tricky after you’ve had a Boysenberry Cider… or two!
- Re-entry IS allowed during the event. Your photo is taken before entering.
And now, a taste of the event…
Knott’s new classic the FUN BUN is on the menu this year with its fried cinnamon roll topped in boysenberry icing and powdered sugar goodness.
Boysenberry Brisket Tater Tots topped with Crispy Jalapeno Chips and a Boysenberry Aioli Sauce is a definite must-try with a great balance of flavors and textures.
Shrimp and Grits
Boysenberry Flavored Shrimp and Grits is a fantastic combo of flavors. Wish that the shrimp were larger and/or more plentiful but this is a satisfying sleeper hit.
Boysenberry Dippin’ Dots
Boysenberry Dippin’ Dots makes its official debut at Knott’s Taste of Boysenberry Festival. Super tasty and satisfying!
Boysenberry BBQ Glazed Wings are a fantastic option. We didn’t try them this time around but we’ve had them at previous Knott’s events. Sweet, savory, magical.
Boysenberry BBQ Brisket Mac and Cheese is as hearty as it is flavorful. Rich creamy mac piled HIGH with tender moist boysenberry BBQ sauced brisket.
Boysenberry Ice Cream Funnel Cake
Strawberries and Cream flavored Funnel Cake topped with Boysenberry Ice Cream, a Lemon Drizzle, and White Chocolate Sprinkles kinda tasted like a bowl of cereal. It’s kind of a lot going on and while not bad… it’s not necessarily great either!
Pastrami with Boysenberry Mustard
Pastrami Sandwich on a Pretzel Bun with Provolone Cheese and Boysenberry Mustard is a solid event favorite of ours. We didn’t try this time but it’s been stellar before.
Pork Bao with Boysenberry Kimchi
Pork Bao Buns with a Boysenberry Kimchi and Nam Pla are a fun variation to standard event fair. The kimchi is sweet and spicy, a fun twist on a classic dish.
Boysenberry Meatloaf and Potatoes
Boysenberry BBQ Meatloaf with Scalloped Potatoes is a decent choice. The meatloaf is a little standard but the sauce and potatoes add some pop.
Salmon and Orzo Salad with Boysenberries on Spinach was surprisingly disappointing. Oddly bland and insufficiently dressed, we’d suggest a pass on this one.
Beyond Meatballs with a Boysenberry BBQ Sauce over Cauliflower Cilantro Rice with Pita Bread earns points for being solid vegetarian option but isn’t necessarily must-have.
Boysenberry Smoothie has been offered at every version of the event so far and it really hits the spot. It’s mega sweet but super satisfying. It’s the right slap of boysenberry flavor to accent a culinary adventure in the way only Knott’s can provide. Paper straws are a bit of a drag so make sure to pick up an extra one if you’re a slow sipper.
Hungry for more? Check out a full listing of all the food and drink options available for the event:
Entertainment is tricky when you’re trying to prevent people from crowding. Similar to previous “Taste of” events, you can still find some ways to find entertainment during your visit.
The Easter Beagle is ready for air hugs and socially distanced selfies!
The Easter Bunny is doing socially distanced selfies at the Charles Schulz Theater.
Peanuts characters are also taking socially distanced pictures in Camp Snoopy!
There’s once again some fantastic blink-and-miss entertainment in the Boardwalk with the vintage-style K-NOT Radio disc jockeys adding some spring brightness to the festival.
Krazy Kirk and the Hillbillies perform live throughout the event,
There’s a bunch of fun atmosphere entertainment all around the park.
Blacksmithing is always fun to watch in Ghost Town.
Crowding is always hit and miss. You will find choke points during the day but nothing that waiting a few minutes — or even just seconds — doesn’t automatically resolve. Crowds and line lengths ebb and flow all day long. As always, personal comfort level comes into play here and while we would have liked the event to be just a tiny bit less crowded we wouldn’t say it felt over sold or unsafe.
Tables and shade are once again found all over the park in places you might not have previously expected which helps tremendously when you’re looking for a quick respite from the hustle and bustle.
Unexpected areas all around the park are utilized for additional table seating.
Find a re-usable event-branded tote for $3 or you can also get a fantastic Tee + Pin combo for $16.99. You can save $2 when you buy online!
You can even buy a Boysenberry Plant to take home! $19.99 each.
Stores in and around Ghost Town are open offering familiar assortments of boysenberry and other park merchandise. Plus, local crafters and vendors bring their unique assortment of color and craft to the park to round out the experience.
Around the Farm
Fun décor and photo-ops can be found all around the park.
Special precautions are in effect in the Marketplace as well with controlled entry as needed, social distance markers, and more unexpected outdoor dining areas.
Get your wallets ready to spend!
More to Explore
Whenever Knott’s Berry Farm resumes normal operation, the brand new Bear-y Tales: Return to the Fair attraction is expected to be opened! For now, it sits seemingly ready to welcome guests.
Health and Safety Measures
- Admission will be limited each day to ensure physical distancing
- Upon arrival, guests will be asked to enter a temperature screening and security checkpoint at the main gate
- All associates and guests must wear a facial covering while visiting Taste of Knott’s or the Knott’s California Marketplace store locations and restaurants – masks are not required while eating.
- Frequently touched surfaces will be disinfected daily and sanitized frequently. This includes but is not limited to cash counters, scanners, EMV readers, pens at cashier counters, register screens, store fixtures, door handles, and shopping baskets.
- Signage is present to aid guests in the proper direction of travel and as a reminder to practice social distancing.
- Seating will be spaced out throughout the Taste of Knott’s event footprint
- Hand sanitizing stations are available throughout the event area.
- All associates are screened, including temperature and symptom checks using CDC guidelines before being allowed on the property to work.
- Associates have been trained on the importance of handwashing, physical distancing, and overall hygiene.
- Separate entrances and exits will appear at some store locations.
- Store occupancy is limited to less than 50% of the normal building capacity. Queue lines outside of store locations with six-foot markers are present where applicable.
See it for Yourself
KNOTT’S TASTE OF BOYSENBERRY FESTIVAL takes place select dates from March 5 through May 2, 2021.