Co-viewing is the next big chapter in the Disney+ ever expanding and streaming service. The new Disney+ GroupWatch features gives friends and family the ability to access from the vast Disney+ library of movies and shows and watch them together… even when they are apart.
After initially launching in a test version in Canada on September 10th and in Australia and New Zealand on September 18th, the feature is now live in the United States. The feature is expected to expand to Europe later this fall.
Here’s some of the features you can expect with Disney+ GroupWatch.
- GroupWatch allows for up to seven people to watch together
- The synced playback experience is available across web, mobile, connected TV devices and Smart TVs
- Share reactions in real time
Subscribers can launch the experience through the GroupWatch icon found on the Details page of series and movies from the extensive library on Disney+.
They will then be given a link to invite up to six other people to watch with them (Disney+ subscription required). Invitations must originate from mobile or web, but you can then watch from your connected TV device or Smart TV.
- GroupWatch’s synchronized playback seamlessly allows each participant the ability to pause for a bathroom break, play, rewind to watch a favorite scene again, or fast forward, for the whole group
- Viewers can react in real time with six different emojis: “like”, “funny”, “sad”, “angry”, “scared” and “surprised” through the Disney+ app