Van Eaton Galleries are back again with another massive auction in celebration of Disneyland’s 65th Anniversary. There’s more than 1,100 items on the block in an auction so big it will span two days: DISNEYLAND: THE FIRST 65 YEARS.
What you can expect this time around includes an envious assortment to enrich every collection including an original 1955 original Disneyland plot plan, original Silver Banjo Barbecue and a collection of rare 16MM films plus a myriad of attraction vehicles, props, audio-animatronic figures, original artwork, awards, concept paintings, maps and much much more.
All photo credits on this page, Van Eaton Galleries.
About the Collection
An unusual item in the auction is a very rare sign for Don DeFore’s original Silver Banjo Barbeque. DeFore was a famous actor in the 1950s and 1960s and was a close friend of Walt’s. He opened a restaurant called Don DeFore’s Silver Banjo Barbeque and it was the only place in Disneyland that had the name of a living person on it other than Walt Disney. They are featured in the book “Growing Up Disneyland” and have never gone up for auction before. The original signage for his “Silver Banjo Barbeque” restaurant in Frontierland (Estimate: $60,000-$80,000), this sign represents the only person other than Walt Disney that had his name on a sign in Disneyland
- A unique 1955 Disneyland Plot Plan created as part of an engineering report (Estimate: $3,000-$5,000)
- An extremely rare Gold VIP ticket to the park’s opening day (Estimate $3,000-$5,000)
- A collection of never-before-seen 16mm films taken by Disney Legend Milt Albright that showcase locations on Main Street as they appeared when the park first opened (Estimate: $500-$800)
- An original hand-painted “Stretch Painting” from the Haunted Mansion at Walt Disney World (Estimate $60,000-$80,000)
- An original Space Mountain Ride Vehicle from Disneyland (Estimate $40,000-$60,000)
- Original Attraction Posters from Disneyland (Estimates $8,000-$15,000)
- A Walt Disney Signed Disneyland Guidebook (Estimate $4,000-$6,000)
- A park used It’s a Small World Attraction Poster (Estimate: $2,000-$4,000)
- An original Haunted Mansion Tombstone Prop (Estimate ($8,000-$10,000), and hundreds of other items.
Other highlights include…
- An original Eyvind Earle concept painting for the Sleeping Beauty Castle walk-through (Estimate: $10,000-$15,000)
- A rare Shooting Gallery rifle from the Main Street Shooting Gallery (Estimate: $3,000-$5,000)
- A hand-painted Fountain Shield prop from the Enchanted Tiki Room (Estimate: $3,000-$5,000)
- An It’s a Small World Animatronic Doll (Estimate: $15,000-$20,000); a Dumbo the Flying Elephant prop (Estimate: $1,000-$2,000)
- An original paintings by Imagineer Walt Peregoy from the park’s opening year (Estimates: $2,000-$4,000)
- Early Club 33 artwork (Estimate: $600-$800)
- A Haunted Mansion Ghost Maquette (Estimate: $1,000-$2,000)
- An original hand-drawn mock-up of the Pirates of the Caribbean souvenir guidebook (Estimate: $3,000-$5,000)
- A 1954 original concept drawing of Tomorrowland (Estimate: $8,000-$10,000)
- An original Epcot Center overview prepared for President Jimmy Carter (Estimate: $3,000-$5,000)
Also featured in the DISNEYLAND: THE FIRST 65 YEARS auction will be several items from Walt Disney World, Disneyland Paris, Disneyland Tokyo and Hong Kong Disneyland.
For more information or to order a collectible catalog visit www.vegalleries.com/auction
See it for Yourself
Free Public Exhibition
By reservation only to ensure social distancing measures.
- Saturday, July 25th –Friday, August 14th, 2020
- Tuesdays through Saturdays 10:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
- Sundays 12 p.m.-4:00 p.m. PT
Live and Online Auction
The auction house will also stream the auction live and bidders can participate by phone or online.
- Session 1: Saturday, August 15th, 2020, 10:00 A.M. Pacific Time
- Session 2: Sunday, August 16th, 2020, 10:00 A.M. Pacific Time
Van Eaton Galleries are located at 13613 Ventura Blvd, Sherman Oaks, California 91423.
To register to bid in the auction go to www.vegalleries.com/auction