This upcoming Lunar New Year is the Year of the Rat (or if you’re Disney, you deem it the Year of the Mouse) and at Disney California Adventure celebrations will be under way to bring a familiar roster of entertainment, food, and merchandise to commemorate the cherished holiday. Traditionally celebrated within Chinese, Korean and Vietnamese cultures, the event this year also promises the return of the popular Festival Marketplaces with a host of unique eats and treats.
Here’s a look at what you can expect in 2020 at the Disney California Adventure Lunar New Year celebration!
- “Mulan’s Lunar New Year Procession” is a celebratory parade led by Mulan that honors Lunar New Year and dedicates the new year’s blessings to family and friendship. As a special treat for the Year of the Mouse, Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse join the procession in new celebration attire, along with Goofy in his “god of Good Fortune” attire and Chip ‘n’ Dale in their red vests. Talented performers bring dance, martial arts and drumming to enhance the beautifully colorful procession. “Mulan’s Lunar New Year Procession” will run several times, daily.
- “Hurry Home – Lunar New Year Celebration” is a heartwarming nighttime water show at Paradise Bay prior to “World of Color” which tells the tale of a little lantern’s quest to reunite with family for the annual celebration of good luck and fortune. Guests will be delighted to see Mulan as a part of the little lantern’s journey.
- Live, daily performances by authentic Chinese, Korean and Vietnamese dancers and musicians will take place throughout Paradise Gardens Park.
- Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse will don new festive Lunar New Year attire this year as they greet guests at Paradise Gardens.
- Mulan, Pluto, and the Three Little Pigs also join in the Lunar New Year celebration.
Four booths this year to experience delightful food and beverages inspired by Chinese, Korean and Vietnamese cultures, including…
- New smoked beef bulgogi short rib
- Peach sojito
- Many other new and returning favorites.
PLUS, The popular Sip and Savor pass is available for any guest to purchase if they wish to get the best value as they taste their way through the festive Asian marketplaces.
The four booths returning this year are:
- Longevity Noodle Co.
- Lucky 8 Lantern
- Prosperity Bao & Buns
- Red Dragon Spice Traders
More to Eat
Special Lunar New Year menu items await at…
- Paradise Garden Grill offers items inspired by traditional Asian fare, plus a Festival Cart inside Paradise Gardens
- Lucky Fortune Cookery in Pacific Wharf
New Lunar New Year merchandise inspired by different cultures of East Asia will be available for purchase. This year, guests will find all-new spirit jerseys, fun bobble-head figures with Chip and Dale, a traditional red envelope set, themed Minnie Mouse ear headbands and more.
More to Explore
- Complimentary arts and crafts. One area features a complimentary dragon’s pearl coloring craft, and another features Chinese calligraphy with local artisans. Plus, new face painting opportunities have been added to the Lunar New Year celebration, available for purchase.
- A Lucky Wishing Wall, located in Paradise Gardens, is where guests may write down wishes and tie them to the wall in hopes for a prosperous future.
- Inspiring Lunar New Year décor symbolizes good luck, fortune and happiness in bold red and brilliant gold. Guests will see ornamental lanterns and banners wishing guests a Happy Lunar New Year in English, Chinese, Korean
- Decor includes educational art walls that provide guests with information about the festival, including fun details such as “What Year Are You?” as well as the unique story of Lunar New Year in each culture that celebrates the sun and moon festival.
Stay and Play
In addition, the Disneyland Resort is offering special hotel offers during the Lunar New Year celebration!
See it for Yourself
Lunar New Year celebrations takes place at Disney California Adventure from January 17 – February 9, 2020.