It seems these days we can’t get enough of the gang from GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY. From the new attraction at Disney California Adventure to their upcoming presence in AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR, it’s no wonder people are excited for Marvel’s first ever 4K HD release of GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 2.
I have to say, I was a bit underwhelmed with the sequel; it just lost the feel of the first movie but I do have to say it was hard not to go gaga for baby Groot and all this mischief. Plus, there’s the forever iconic “I’m Mary Poppins Y’all” quote that will forever be etched in cultural zeitgesit and it spawned so many great cosplay moments at D23 Expo and Comic-Con. I just wished the film didn’t focus quite so much on the daddy issues. Sure, it’s the big mystery from the first film but the end result was not quite so satisfying.
But the movie is still fantastic and if you’re looking to add this one to your home collection you’ll definitely not be disappointed. This is the FIRST film under the house of mouse to be released in 4K. We don’t have the tech at home cool enough to enjoy this at home but we did get a sneak peek of its awesomeness a few weeks ago when we got to sit down with James Gunn and David Hasselhoff.
Below is a recap of the extras that let you dive deeper into the galaxy. Special shout-out to the ever-so consumable 4-part Making Of documentary and the amazing–equal parts awesome and terrifying–music video for Hasselhoff’s “Inferno.” The Gag Reel and Deleted Scenes (dubbed on the digital site as BONUS Scenes to make you feel like they were created just for you vs scraps from the cutting room floor) deliver expected inside-baseball wonderfulness and a rare treat these days is the inclusion of an audio commentary; this one provided by director James Gunn.
Perhaps the coolest feature on here though are the digital exclusive scene breakdowns offering picture in picture look at the scenes offering a glimpse at just how much you take for granted the subtle use of visual effects to bring the entire picture together. It’s pretty awe-inspiring to take in how much work is done on these scenes.
- The Making of “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2” – A four-part, behind-the-scenes look at the making of the film, done in the style of classic-rock album liner notes.
- Visionary Intro – Director James Gunn provides context on how he continues and expands the storylines of these beloved characters in “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2.”
- Guardians Inferno Music Video – Join David Hasselhoff and special guests for a galactic retro dance party.
- Gag Reel – Laugh out loud at all the hilarious off-script shenanigans and bloopers that took place on the set of “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2,” featuring all your favorite Guardians.
- Four Deleted Scenes – Check out four specific scenes that had to be cut from the film, including two extended scenes and two deleted scenes.
- Audio Commentary – Check out a special narration of the film by director James Gunn, who guides fans through an inside look at the making of the movie.
All the features listed above plus four extra exclusives:
- Three Scene Breakdowns (Digital Exclusives) – We’ll reveal the anatomy of a few key scenes from the film. Discover the process in bringing these scenes to life. It starts with a doodle and the rest is film history. Audiences will be given the option to view 5-6 layers of specific scenes in the film. Scenes include “Eclector Escape,” “Gamora and Nebula,” and “Rocket and Ravagers.”
- Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: Breakout! (Digital Exclusive) – Get an exclusive sneak peek inside the most anticipated ride at Disneyland, Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: Breakout!. We’ll dig into the concepts and inspiration, and talk about what it took to bring the most epic ride at Disneyland to life.
GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 2 is available now on 4K Blu-ray, DVD, and Digital.
I only buy movies now if there is a 3D Blu-Ray. No purchase from me on this one.