SHANG-CHI AND THE LEGEND OF THE TEN RINGS took the Marvel Cinematic Universe by storm and now, following its digital release earlier this month, it’s ready to come home on physical release on 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray and DVD.
We had a chance to review an advance copy of the film and scope out some of the fun extras, what follows here is a summary of our honest thoughts!
Why bother with a home release? The first thing you might say is that you already have access to SHANG-CHI AND THE LEGEND OF THE TEN RINGS with your Disney+ subscription. So why opt for the physical copy (with accompanying digital code)? Well, the answer is the same as always: show me the extras!
As of press time, there are no bonus features on Disney+ for SHANG-CHI (except for a trailer) so the only way to unlock more access into this corner of the Marvel Cinematic Universe is going to be with the home release!
What are the Extras?
We’ll start with the choicest cuts of goodies here: the featurettes. While Marvel films are notoriously feature-light when it comes to home release extras, there’s still a little here for SHANG-CHI to give a satisfying glimpse into the filmmaking process.
Building a Legacy is a general behind-the-scenes look about creating a never-before-seen part of Marvel Cinematic Universe in Talo and all the mythology and story potential it brings with it. Meanwhile the second featurette is Family Ties offering a more character driven approach looking at the unusual family dynamics between Shang-Chi his father, sister, and mother.
Audio Commentary is always a fun one and the commentary here provided by director Destin Daniel Cretton and writer Dave Callaham feels unusually accessible. The way they talk is so natural and inviting that you feel like you really are watching the movie with them at a Con where they’re shooting off unrehearsed and honest peeks into the process of creating this film.
And then there’s Gag Reel. I’m sorry, but I’m a sucker for these and the more serious the movie, the more delightful the outtakes. While there’s plenty of humor in this film, it still carries a pretty dark and heavy tone so it’s always nice to see the moments of levity from these always-too-short features.
Finally, we have the Deleted Scenes which are always a fascinating peek into the movie making process. Here’s a summary of the 11 included here with descriptions by Disney:
- They’re Waiting – Shang-Chi and Katy connect with Xialing over a call.
- Take a Shot – Katy has a moment of resolve during a battle.
- Apology – Years after his sudden absence, Shang-Chi tries to apologize to Xialing.
- I’m Here – Shang-Chi and Katy have a conversation in the alley. Katy reassures Shang-Chi that she will always be his support system.
- Pep Talk – In order to turn the tide, Razor Fist encourages Katy during the middle of a battle.
- Greatness – Trevor and Katy bond over passions in their getaway car.
- Escape Tunnel – The gang slips out through Trevor’s escape tunnel in order to secure a getaway vehicle.
- Two Sons – Xu Wenwu compares Shang-Chi and Razor Fist during a tense dinner.
- Postcard – Shang-Chi and Xu Wenwu reunite as father and son. Shang-Chi makes it clear he disagrees with Xu Wenwu’s philosophy.
- Just Friends – Katy and Xialing get to know each other. Xialing asks Katy some personal questions.
- Do It Yourself – Xu Wenwu returns to his empire after the Iron Gang boss is captured.
See it for Yourself
Shang-Chi and The Legend of The Ten Rings is available now on Digital and physical in 4K Ultra HD™, Blu-ray, and DVD.